On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Rasmus wrote: > Nicolas Goaziou writes: > > > Hello, > > > > Steve Downey writes: > > > >> Asking users to accept any breakage in the tool they use to get work > done > >> is a lot. Changes in UI in emacs are opt-in. > >> > >> Even if the change is the right thing to do. > > > > I think some of you (basically, anyone thinking we should enable " > TAB" by default ;)) are missing the point. > > > > > > The first important thing to understand is that, even if we enable > > `org-tempo' by default, next Org release /will break/ for some of us. > > > > - It will break because `org-tempo' is only 99% backward-compatible. So > > anyone having customizing templates is bound to change them. > > > > - It will break because there are 9 other incompatible changes between > > 9.1 and 9.2. > > > > So, asking to load `org-tempo' by default just to avoid breaking users > > set-up is a wrong argument. It will only "protect" those among us that > > use " > incompatible changes. IOW, updating Org from 9.1 to 9.2 will not be > > smooth for everyone. No matter what `org-tempo' becomes. > > Nicolas, I have been wondering about something, reading all these posts, > irrespective of whether tempo is loaded by default or not (I don’t care). > > Do you think org-tempo should try to detect "old" versions of > org-structure-template-alist and give a better error if it sees one? I > don’t know what the "best practice" is this case... > Yes, it absolutely should. Carsten > > Thanks, > Rasmus > > -- > When in doubt, do it! > > >