From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
To: Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
Cc: org-mode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Subject: Re: Bug? SCHEDULED lines treated differently when text precedes them
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 16:02:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
wrote:

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
> > Planning information (SCHEDULED, DEADLINE and CLOSED keywords) must
> > appear right after the headline, per Org syntax. This is specified at
> > the first paragraph in (info "(org) Deadlines and Scheduling").
> >
> > Elswhere, only the timestamp is meaningful to Org.
>
> Thanks for the quick clarification!  I didn't see the relevant line in
> the documentation since my Emacs from Debian shows only the info
> documentation for the (outdated) Org that is bundled with Emacs [1].

This is, in fact, one of the very few things that did change with the
introduction of org-elements.el and the fore formal parsing of Org files.
Originally, SCHEDULED and DEADLINE could be anywhere in the entry.  But
with the development of the parser, and (I think) in order to define
everything well in particular also for the export backends, the planning
information was confined to the first line.

I don't think you need to be worried about more surprises, this was the
most significant one IIRC.

Carsten