* (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-08 23:56 psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-08 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have posted this question on StackOverflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24111890/org-mode-require-org-publish-causes-downgrade-in-org-version>
but in case you don't want to visit the page, I've pasted the contents in
this email.

I have just upgraded org-mode to the latest available in ELPA. According to
the official documentation, the installation has to be done in fresh emacs
session where no org-related scripts/files have been loaded. The
installation is successful, and org-version reports that I have updated to
8.2.6 (from 7.9.3f). However, as soon as I put back my old org-related
scripts, and reload emacs, I'd get 7.9.3f when I run org-version. To track
what's causing it I retrace my steps by adding my org-related scripts one
by one. I found out that when I add back (require 'org-publish), the
version downgrades to the built-in one. I don't know why this is happening.

Thanks.

* Re: (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-09  5:42 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-09  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

psycho_punch writes:
> I have just upgraded org-mode to the latest available in ELPA.
> According to the official documentation, the installation has to be
> done in fresh emacs session where no org-related scripts/files have
> been loaded. The installation is successful, and org-version reports
> that I have updated to 8.2.6 (from 7.9.3f). However, as soon as I put
> back my old org-related scripts, and reload emacs, I'd get 7.9.3f when
> I run org-version. To track what's causing it I retrace my steps by
> adding my org-related scripts one by one. I found out that when I add
> back (require 'org-publish), the version downgrades to the built-in
> one. I don't know why this is happening.

You need to replace this with (require 'ox-publish).  As to why this is
happening, you're sending Emacs down the wrong rabbit hole to search for
Org and the autoload stuff will do the rest.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-09  6:18   ` rdgoite
From: rdgoite @ 2014-06-09  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've tried replacing it with 'ox-publish but it can't be found. Does it
need to be installed separately?

---
sent through my mobile

@ 2014-06-09  8:17   ` psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-09  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ok, so apparently, ox-publish doesn't get loaded after init in my setup;
I'm not sure why. What I have done so far is to run the publish script
after init using the after-init-hook. However, I feel like this shouldn't
be how it's done.

@ 2014-06-09 11:04     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-09 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

psycho_punch writes:
> Ok, so apparently, ox-publish doesn't get loaded after init in my
> setup; I'm not sure why. What I have done so far is to run the publish
> script after init using the after-init-hook. However, I feel like this
> shouldn't be how it's done.

It's hard to tell, but you're likely trying to configure Org before
package-initialize has run.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-09 11:36       ` psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-09 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've defined my initialization script in ~/.emacs.d/init.el; I'm not sure
if it matters. So since 'ox-publish doesn't get loaded until after
initialization, I defined:

(add-hook 'after-init-hook (lambda() (load-file
"/path/to/org-publish-project.el")))

I'm wondering when do the packages installed via package-install get
loaded...

@ 2014-06-09 11:59         ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-06-09 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

psycho_punch writes:

> I've defined my initialization script in ~/.emacs.d/init.el; I'm not sure
> if it matters. So since 'ox-publish doesn't get loaded until after
> initialization, I defined:
>
> (add-hook 'after-init-hook (lambda() (load-file
> "/path/to/org-publish-project.el")))
>
> I'm wondering when do the packages installed via package-install get
> loaded...

They get loaded when (package-initialize) is called in one's
initialisation file(s).

Alexis.

* Re: (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-09 12:16           ` psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

So I need to explicitly call (package-initialize) in init.el, probably one
of the, if not the, first line?

@ 2014-06-09 12:43             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-09 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

psycho_punch <psychopunchme@gmail.com> writes:

> So I need to explicitly call (package-initialize) in init.el,
> probably one of the, if not the, first line?

If I recall correctly, the recommended thing is to put all of your
package-specific customizations either in the customize interface (in
which case they'll get applied correctly) or behind either a mode hook,
or an eval-after-load. Also see package-enable-at-startup, in the info
node (emacs) Package Installation

@ 2014-06-09 13:42             ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

psycho_punch <psychopunchme@gmail.com> writes:

> So I need to explicitly call (package-initialize) in init.el, probably
> one of the, if not the, first line?

Yes, I had a similar issue with different versions from ELPA, and
applying (package-initialize) early (first line in my .emacs) fixed.

* Re: (require 'org-publish) causes downgrade in org-version
@ 2014-06-09 13:53               ` psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-09 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode