Yes, I had the same problem earlier (see the thread on required 'ox-publish). Here's what I did: First, I noticed that the packages get loaded only after initialization, so I put my org-related initialization script in the after-init-hook. Then after other people here told me about (package-initialize), I just placed it somewhere in the beginning of my emacs initialization script, and it worked as well. I also removed a similar script for setting up babel since I noticed my installation works without it anyway. I think those languages are supported by default. On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo < jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote: > Shiyuan writes: > > > Hi all, > > I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA) > > I followed this instruction > > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure > > > > and added the following to my .emacs file. > > > > (org-babel-do-load-languages > > 'org-babel-load-languages > > '((python . t) > > (emacs-lisp . t))) > > > > After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version > > 7.9. Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works > > and generates error: Symbol's function definition is void: > > org-defvaralias. Is there any step I missed? Thanks. > > > > Shiyuan > > Hi Shiyuan, > > Have you tried to put (package-initialize) early (say first line) in > your .emacs? > > Best, > > Jorge. > > >