Windows 7, EMACS 23.4 I tried this in my .emacs to update info files ;; Info directory (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.11/doc)")) As recommended here. http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html C-h i still brings up the old info files. files are there: org.pdf rg.texi rgcard.pdf rgcard.tex rgcard_letter.pdf rgguide.pdf rgguide.texi Any suggestions? Thanks Mike On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Nick Dokos wrote: > Mike Fitzgerald wrote: > > > Great! > > Followed your latest recommendations and all seems well. > > > > Glad to hear it. > > > A couple of things: > > > > 1) The defun > > > > (defun my/compile-org(&optional directory) > > "Compile all *.el files that come with org-mode." > > > > is at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html. > > > > Yeah, Achim pointed it out, so I added a warning to stay away from it for > now. > > > 2) The org mode update info on the net is confusing to me. > > > > You might want to post a note to the list (as detailed as possible > please!) about this. There is always room for improvement in this area. > > > 3) The command (require 'org-capture) does not appear anywhere on > http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Capture > > Which is the most offcical looking page has capture stuff. > > Seems that it should be near the top. > > Tried re-running without (require 'org-capture) and it still works. > > Another package must be loading it. > > > > It's probably not necessary, just paranoia on my part. > > > 4) Is there a pain free way to get org mode info files updated? > > > > My preference is to initialize the environment variable INFOPATH to point > to the various directories that contain info files that I'm interested in > (in addition to the standard ones). That might or might not work well for > you on windows though. > > > 5) How 2 byte compile? > > (perhaps it does not need byte compile, seems fast enough) > > > > I almost always run without byte-compilation (mostly because I don't > really use org-mode to its fullest potential, but I often end up > debugging things: org-mode is more a hobby for me, not so much a > productivity tool). > > You will probably want to learn enough about git and the repo eventually > and use that to (frequently!) update your installation, because org is a > fast moving target and eventually you will lust after the latest and > greatest feature which only exists on the bleeding edge version; but > that will mean that you probably will want to install a make tool on > windows: it's too much of a pain otherwise. > > > Thanks 4 being responsive and a clean dispo. > > > > Getting over the initial hump is the biggest obstacle new users face, > so I try to help them do that. > > Nick >