I also face the same problem, which forces me to download and install manually the package instead of using the ELPA repo. I would also appreciate a change in behavior of the webserver. Thanks, Roland. On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 11:14 PM, Keshav Kini wrote: > Hi, > > This mail is about the Org ELPA repository, not Org itself. Please > let me know if I've mailed the wrong list. > > Inside my corporate network, I must connect to external hosts such as > orgmode.org via an HTTP proxy. Most programs on my machine are able > to access both HTTP and HTTPS URLs through the proxy without any > problem. > > However, it seems that Emacs's URL package, used by many Emacs tools > including package.el, has been unable to properly establish HTTPS > connections over an HTTP proxy for a long time: > > https://debbugs.gnu.org/11788 > > A patch which fixes this problem was written in 2015 by Tao Fang but > is not currently present in any released Emacs version. (It will be > incorporated into Emacs 26, according to the NEWS.26 file in the Emacs > development repository.) > > Meanwhile, the orgmode.org web server is currently responding to HTTPS > requests with an HTTP 301 status, redirecting the client to the > corresponding HTTPS URL, i.e. it tries to force the client to use > HTTPS. This is in contrast with a couple of other major ELPA > repositories, MELPA and GNU ELPA: > > | $ curl -Is http://orgmode.org/elpa/archive-contents | head -1 > | HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently > | $ curl -Is http://melpa.org/packages/archive-contents | head -1 > | HTTP/1.1 200 OK > | $ curl -Is http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents | head -1 > | HTTP/1.1 200 OK > > This would seem to mean that anyone using an unpatched non-development > version of Emacs today is unable to connect to the Org ELPA from > behind an HTTP proxy. I gather that this must be a recent change in > behavior, because I have been able to download packages from the Org > ELPA in the past without any trouble. > > Would it be possible for whoever maintains the orgmode.org web server > to reconfigure it so that it responds to HTTP requests directly as it > used to do, instead of redirecting to HTTPS? > > Thanks, > Keshav > >