Also - it does not usually get faster right after it gets slower. It will stay slow for a while and sometimes get faster again later, but I haven't noticed a definite pattern. On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Susan Addy wrote: > Hi Nick, > I'm not sure if the machine swaps - in fact I'm not sure what you mean. > However, I am on a macbook air running OSX 10.6.8, emacs 22.3.1, org 7.7. I > am the only user. I have 4GB ram, 2.13 GHz intel core 2 duo. > Thanks for your help, > Susan > > > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Nick Dokos wrote: > >> Susan Addy wrote: >> >> > Ok - I tried adding (setq font-lock-verbose nil), but there was no >> > change. It is still fast when I open emacs, and then some time later >> > (after I switch to another program for some time and back) it is >> > slow. Sometimes it will become fast again, and sometimes I recall (I >> > think) it has been slow right when I open it. >> > >> > Also, to clarify, the slow scrolling through headlines is in normal >> > view, not agenda view. It tends to be correlated with the agenda being >> > slow. >> > >> >> Could it be that emacs is swapped out after you leave it for a while and >> it takes a long time to get swapped back in? But if so, it would get >> faster soon thereafter. Does the machine swap at all? >> >> OS and version? org version? emacs version? do you share the machine or >> are you the >> only user on it? how much memory? CPUs? >> >> Nick >> > >