Hi Nick, I'm not sure if the machine swaps - in fact I'm not sure what you mean. However, I am on a macbook air running OSX 10.6.8, emacs 22.3.1, org 7.7. I am the only user. I have 4GB ram, 2.13 GHz intel core 2 duo. Thanks for your help, Susan On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Nick Dokos wrote: > Susan Addy wrote: > > > Ok - I tried adding (setq font-lock-verbose nil), but there was no > > change. It is still fast when I open emacs, and then some time later > > (after I switch to another program for some time and back) it is > > slow. Sometimes it will become fast again, and sometimes I recall (I > > think) it has been slow right when I open it. > > > > Also, to clarify, the slow scrolling through headlines is in normal > > view, not agenda view. It tends to be correlated with the agenda being > > slow. > > > > Could it be that emacs is swapped out after you leave it for a while and > it takes a long time to get swapped back in? But if so, it would get > faster soon thereafter. Does the machine swap at all? > > OS and version? org version? emacs version? do you share the machine or > are you the > only user on it? how much memory? CPUs? > > Nick >