From: Susan Addy <susan.e.addy@gmail.com>
To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: slow agenda view and scrolling through headlines
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:54:54 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Nick,
    I have looked through the archives and tried what I found, including
the linum-mode and property-inheritance, which didn't affect the problem. I
also tried to change to the latest version of org mode and (I think) emacs,
which didn't help. I don't recall seeing the font-lock problem, though I
may have tried it earlier. I'll look for that one again. Most of the
archive questions had a slow agenda all the time, and not only sometimes.

   I tried your commands below (thank you!) and have some interesting
results, but I don't know enough to interpret them. If I am interpreting
right, org-scan-tags  sometimes takes much longer, but I have no idea why
it would be fast sometimes and slow others.

Here are the top 10 listings when operation is fast (about 3 seconds)

Function Name                                                 Call Count
Elapsed Time  Average Time

============================================================  ==========

org-agenda                                                    1
1.943013      1.943013

org-agenda-run-series                                         1
1.590022      1.590022

org-let2                                                      2
1.1610179999  0.5805089999

org-tags-view                                                 1
0.826727      0.826727

org-scan-tags                                                 5
0.760431      0.1520862

org-let                                                       2
0.426281      0.2131405

org-agenda-get-restriction-and-command                        1
0.3529        0.3529

org-agenda-list                                               1
0.334261      0.334261

org-prepare-agenda-buffers                                    2
0.3264879999  0.1632439999

org-prepare-agenda                                            3
0.3113339999  0.1037779999

org-get-entries-from-diary                                    1
0.266385      0.26638

When agenda is slow:

Function Name                                                 Call
Count  Elapsed Time  Average Time

============================================================  ==========

org-agenda                                                    1
12.133429     12.133429

org-agenda-run-series                                         1
11.768025     11.768025

org-let2                                                      2
10.856247999  5.4281239999

org-tags-view                                                 1
10.427989     10.427989

org-scan-tags                                                 5
10.402578000  2.0805156000

org-let                                                       2
0.908944      0.454472

org-finalize-agenda                                           3
0.8176239999  0.2725413333

org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    10
0.6845889999  0.0684588999

org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      10
0.4447109999  0.0444711

org-agenda-list                                               1
0.428234      0.428234