* [FR] Add support for racket images in org-babel
@ 2022-12-16  0:11 dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2022-12-16  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying out racket <https://racket-lang.org/> which seems to provide a
quite nice plotting package <https://docs.racket-lang.org/plot/index.html>.
Also, it is easy to install and configure, easy to learn. and it has great
learning material.
It looks like a great simple (compared to common-lisp or clojure)
alternative to python
(so far for the enthusiasm).

I have not asked anywhere yet, but I do not know a 'standard org-mode' way
to make org-mode show the plot images. Racket creates a temp image file and
returns a string that includes the path to the file. The actual format of
the string is:

"\"#<Image: /var/tmp/geiser-img-16711484841671148484684.png>\""

I could create a patch for it, but I am not sure how to best implement it
(in a clean way).

Currently, I am simply using the following advice (while including in the
header ':results file'):

  (with-eval-after-load 'ob-scheme
>     (defun ob-racket-advice (orig-fun &rest args)
>       (let ((result (print (apply orig-fun args))))
>         (if (string-match "\"#<Image: " (print result))
>             (nth 1 (string-split result " " nil ">\""))
>           result)))
>
>     (advice-add 'org-babel-execute:scheme :around #'ob-racket-advice))

however, it would be great if support could be added to ob-scheme itself.
I would be happy to do it, but as mentioned before I don't think I know how
to do it in the proper way. I would probably just add a condition around the
'result' in 'org-babel-execute:scheme' as follows:

  (org-babel-result-cond result-params
>    (if (and (eq impl 'racket)
>                      (string-match "\"#<Image: " (print result)))
>                 (nth 1 (string-split result " " nil ">\""))
>               result)
>    (org-babel-scheme--table-or-string table)))))))

Thank you!

* Re: [FR] Add support for racket images in org-babel
@ 2022-12-18 12:38 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-18 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalanicolai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com> writes:

> I have not asked anywhere yet, but I do not know a 'standard org-mode' way
> to make org-mode show the plot images. Racket creates a temp image file and
> returns a string that includes the path to the file. The actual format of
> the string is:
>
> "\"#<Image: /var/tmp/geiser-img-16711484841671148484684.png>\""
>
> I could create a patch for it, but I am not sure how to best implement it
> (in a clean way).

You likely need to extend `org-babel-scheme--table-or-string' to
understand Image: type.

> however, it would be great if support could be added to ob-scheme itself.
> I would be happy to do it, but as mentioned before I don't think I know how
> to do it in the proper way. I would probably just add a condition around the
> 'result' in 'org-babel-execute:scheme' as follows:

I do not know much about scheme.

Generally, ob-* libraries try their best to convert native language
types to Elisp. If #<Image: ...> is something that is unambiguously
identified as image file, I do not see why we cannot support it,
converting the #<Image: ...> representation to file link. Especially,
when users request :results file.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [FR] Add support for racket images in org-babel
@ 2022-12-21 12:34   ` dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2022-12-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your answer!

> You likely need to extend `org-babel-scheme--table-or-string' to
> understand Image: type.

It looks to me that when `org-babel-execute:scheme` gets executed, then the
result will not get inserted as a link, as that would require the results
type 'file', right?
From the manual <https://orgmode.org/manual/Results-of-Evaluation.html>, it
seems to me that using the 'file' type is required to get the result
inserted as a link.

However, I can not see how the code does the following as explained in the
manual.

The manual <https://orgmode.org/manual/Results-of-Evaluation.html> states
(under Type/file):

> If ‘file’ header argument is missing, Org generates the base name of the
> output file from the name of the code block, and its extension from the ‘
> file-ext’ header argument. In that case, both the name and the extension
> are mandatory.

suggesting that a file gets written also when there is no :file header
argument.

But from the `and` condition here
<https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/bd468136dd1a2172302b3ec980c5e6b6e327d683/lisp/ob-core.el#L820>
in `org-babel-execute-src-block`, it looks to me that a file is only
written when a :file argument is provided (via the `with-temp-file` that
follows within the 'when file ...').
Anyway, this I only found when trying to find out how the result gets
formatted as a link.

I guess to get the racket `Image` file-path to formatted correctly, it
would be preferable to only touch ob-scheme for that. In which case, I
think the 'result' under 'org-babel-result-cond' at the end of
'org-babel-execute:scheme' should get (re)formatted conditionally (when the
results is a racket image (link)).

So in the end, I conclude that maybe the advice as mentioned in my
'original' mail, might be already the 'cleanest' solution (and that it does
not cause any problem concerning a file getting written to disk, as
luckily, org does not seem to write files when no :file header argument is
given). Anyway, I am struggling to find out how to come up with an
alternative clean(er) solution.

@ 2022-12-29 14:02     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-29 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalanicolai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com> writes:

>> You likely need to extend `org-babel-scheme--table-or-string' to
>> understand Image: type.
>>

> It looks to me that when `org-babel-execute:scheme` gets executed, then the
> result will not get inserted as a link, as that would require the results
> type 'file', right?
> From the manual <https://orgmode.org/manual/Results-of-Evaluation.html>, it
> seems to me that using the 'file' type is required to get the result
> inserted as a link.
>
> However, I can not see how the code does the following as explained in the
> manual.
>
> The manual <https://orgmode.org/manual/Results-of-Evaluation.html> states
> (under Type/file):
>
>> If ‘file’ header argument is missing, Org generates the base name of the
>> output file from the name of the code block, and its extension from the ‘
>> file-ext’ header argument. In that case, both the name and the extension
>> are mandatory.
>>
> suggesting that a file gets written also when there is no :file header
> argument.

> But from the `and` condition here
> <https://github.com/bzg/org-mode/blob/bd468136dd1a2172302b3ec980c5e6b6e327d683/lisp/ob-core.el#L820>
> in `org-babel-execute-src-block`, it looks to me that a file is only
> written when a :file argument is provided (via the `with-temp-file` that
> follows within the 'when file ...').
> Anyway, this I only found when trying to find out how the result gets
> formatted as a link.

One can use :results file link without :file header argument.

#+begin_src bash :results file link
echo -n "~/Downloads/wallpaper.png"
#+end_src

#+RESULTS[9c92ca9d7a3cce34ddcc4714ea917225be60e080]:
[[file:/home/yantar92/Downloads/wallpaper.png]]

I now clarified this on main
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=b2adb68af

Hope it clarifies how to achieve what you want without advice.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,