* Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 20:04 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2013-03-22 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey guys,

I'm trying to update to org 8.0, and also clean up my org setup, as it
looks like it still loads some of the .el files out of the Emacs std
distribution (I'm using  Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.36)).

I have org in ~/.emacs.d/vendor/org, and I also added the following lines
to my init.el:

(add-to-list load-path (cons (concat dotfiles-dir "vendor/org/lisp")
 load-path))
(add-to-list load-path (cons (concat dotfiles-dir
"vendor/org/contrib/lisp")  load-path))

But it fails hard when emacs inits:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> `/Users/fullofcaffeine/.emacs.d/init.el':
> error: Autoloading failed to define function org-babel-do-load-languages
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

When I try to "make autoloads" I get the following:

> org git:(master): make autoloads
> = Invoke "make help" for a synopsis of make targets. =
> = Created a default local.mk template.               =
> = Setting "oldorg" as the default target.            =
> = Please adapt local.mk to your local setup!         =
> End of file during parsing
> make: [local.mk] Error 255 (ignored)
> make -C lisp autoloads
> rm -f org-version.el org-loaddefs.el org-version.elc org-loaddefs.elc
> org-install.elc
> org-version: 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-150-g412d98)
> End of file during parsing
> make[1]: *** [org-version.el] Error 255
> make: *** [autoloads] Error 2

Not sure where to go from here.

How could I clean up the org installation so Emacs only loads the version
from git?

Thanks in advance,

- Marcelo.

* Re: Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 21:02 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-03-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have org in ~/.emacs.d/vendor/org, and I also added the following lines to my init.el:
>
> (add-to-list load-path (cons (concat dotfiles-dir "vendor/org/lisp")  load-path))
> (add-to-list load-path (cons (concat dotfiles-dir "vendor/org/contrib/lisp")  load-path))
>
> But it fails hard when emacs inits:
>
>     Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/Users/fullofcaffeine/.emacs.d/
>     init.el':
>     error: Autoloading failed to define function org-babel-do-load-languages
>     To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
>     cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
>     the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> When I try to "make autoloads" I get the following:
>
>     org git:(master): make autoloads
>     ======================================================
>     = Invoke "make help" for a synopsis of make targets. =
>     = Created a default local.mk template.               =
>     = Setting "oldorg" as the default target.            =
>     = Please adapt local.mk to your local setup!         =
>     ======================================================
>     End of file during parsing
>     make: [local.mk] Error 255 (ignored)
>     make -C lisp autoloads
>     rm -f org-version.el org-loaddefs.el org-version.elc org-loaddefs.elc org-install.elc
>     org-version: 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-150-g412d98)
>     End of file during parsing
>     make[1]: *** [org-version.el] Error 255
>     make: *** [autoloads] Error 2
>
> Not sure where to go from here.

This

>      Start Emacs with
>     the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

would be a start. The "End of file during parsing" probably indicates
a missing paren or some such, possibly in init.el. I presume emacs -q
starts up properly?

Nick

* Re: Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 21:27   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2013-03-22 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Nick, thank you for the reply.

Happens it was an error specific to the terminal version of emacs (OpenStep
could not be found, by org-mac-protocol). Not loading that file solved the
issue.

It looks like I just need to upgrade from org-remember to org-capture.

However, I'm getting the following message when calling org-version:

Org-mode version 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-150-g412d98-git @ org-loaddefs.el
can not be found!)

What does org-loaddefs do and how could I get org-loaddefs to be loaded?

Thanks!

- Marcelo

@ 2013-03-22 21:35     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-22 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Aloha Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nick, thank you for the reply.
>
> Happens it was an error specific to the terminal version of emacs (OpenStep
> could not be found, by org-mac-protocol). Not loading that file solved the
> issue.
>
> It looks like I just need to upgrade from org-remember to org-capture.
>
> However, I'm getting the following message when calling org-version:
>
> Org-mode version 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-150-g412d98-git @ org-loaddefs.el
> can not be found!)
>
> What does org-loaddefs do and how could I get org-loaddefs to be loaded?

Did you `make autoloads'?

Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 21:54       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2013-03-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Yes,

@ 2013-03-22 22:19         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Sorry, I didn't read closely.

Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 22:24           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2013-03-22 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

It seems to work fine so far (apart from org-remember failing, but AFAIK,
it has been deprecated). What are the consequences of not having those
autoloads files?

@ 2013-03-22 22:27         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-03-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode, Thomas S. Dye

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>     Did you `make autoloads'?
> Yes,
>
>     org git:(master): make autoloads
>     ======================================================
>     = Invoke "make help" for a synopsis of make targets. =
>     = Created a default local.mk template.               =
>     = Setting "oldorg" as the default target.            =
>     = Please adapt local.mk to your local setup!         =
>     ======================================================
>     End of file during parsing
>     make: [local.mk] Error 255 (ignored)
>     make -C lisp autoloads
>     rm -f org-version.el org-loaddefs.el org-version.elc org-loaddefs.elc org-install.elc
>     org-version: 8.0-pre (release_8.0-pre-150-g412d98)
>     End of file during parsing
>     make[1]: *** [org-version.el] Error 255
>     make: *** [autoloads] Error 2

Well, you issued the command but the make failed. So you need to
investigate why it is failing. `make autoloads' removes some existing
files and then tries to rebuild them. One of those is org-loaddefs.el -
the fact that you don't have it shows that the rebuild failed.

The rebuild is done by this rule in lisp/Makefile:

,----
| autoloads:	cleanauto addcontrib $(LISPI) $(LISPV)
|
| $(LISPV):	$(LISPF)
| 	@echo "org-version: $(ORGVERSION) ($(GITVERSION))"
| 	@$(RM) $(@)
| 	@$(MAKE_ORG_VERSION)
`----

and MAKE_ORG_VERSION is defined in mk/default.mk:

,----
| # Using emacs in batch mode.
| # BATCH = $(EMACS) -batch -vanilla # XEmacs
| BATCH	= $(EMACS) -batch -Q
|
| # Emacs must be started in lisp directory
| BATCHL	= $(BATCH) \
| 	  --eval '(add-to-list '"'"'load-path ".")'
|
| # How to generate org-version.el
| MAKE_ORG_VERSION = $(BATCHL) \
| 	  --eval '(load "org-compat.el")' \
| 	  --eval '(load "../mk/org-fixup.el")' \
| 	  --eval '(org-make-org-version "$(ORGVERSION)" "$(GITVERSION)" "$(datadir)")'
`----

But you have a syntax error in some file (End of file during parsing - as I said,
probably a missing paren or some such) that causes emacs to exit abnormally.

Nick

* Re: Cleaning up my org setup, using version from git
@ 2013-03-22 22:35             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-03-22 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode, Thomas S. Dye

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to work fine so far (apart from org-remember failing, but
> AFAIK, it has been deprecated).  What are the consequences of not
> having those autoloads files?

Emacs is likely to fail with unexplained and mysterious errors at any moment.

There are land mines where you are treading: some of them are exploding,
and probably more are lurking.  I understand the temptation to just
forge ahead, but you will be much better off if you take the time to fix
the problems now rather than leaving them for later.

Nick