You make some very good points, Eden. Dragging is what bothers me. I used to use Emacs for a lot of other stuff before, but decided to be more pragmatic and enjoy apps outside it as well. I don't currently live inside Emacs (in fact, I've ended up switching to MacVim for most of my coding tasks, but that was before Evil was available, and I might take the time to switch my env to Emacs again someday, now that there is a decent Vim emulation layer), and I use other OSX apps. OSX is very graphical. Being able to quickly drag and drop items in an Emacs org buffer would be a plus, and would also be helpful to less technically-savvy/more graphically oriented people willing to use org. I have grown a habit of capturing absolutely > everything, which is eased by the fact that I redirect everything I > can to IRC or my mailbox, which gives me a very efficient note-taking > and communication system That sounds *very* interesting. Would you mind sharing a bit more about your system? I'm specially curious about the capture tools you're using (IRC?). I also have the capability of capturing > links to stuff on a remote system (which Evernote can't do). Good point. The only useful thing I've ever done with Evernote is > take advantage of the OCR search, which means I can capture physical > things fast with the smartphone and find them later via search True. That's a very useful Evernote capture feature, very convenient when you just don't feel like writing. Now, I agree orgmode has the edge, specially for the geekier audience, but Evernote has some great capture tools, tools that could be ported to org (food for thought) or used in conjunction. Cheers! - Marcelo. On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Eden Cardim wrote: > >>>>> "Marcelo" == Marcelo de Moraes Serpa writes: > > Marcelo> Hello everyone, As much as I love orgmode, I can't deny > Marcelo> that Evernote looks slick. I would not replace org by > Marcelo> Evernote per se, but Evernote does have more polished > Marcelo> capture tools than orgmode has. Just the simple fact that > Marcelo> you can drag and drop anything to an Evernote note, and > Marcelo> it will automatically store/display it accordingly is > Marcelo> great. > > Dragging is what bothers me. I practically live inside emacs and > pressing one key to capture stuff is about 5 times faster than doing > it by dragging, that is, if the app I want to capture from happens to > be on the same desktop. I have grown a habit of capturing absolutely > everything, which is eased by the fact that I redirect everything I > can to IRC or my mailbox, which gives me a very efficient note-taking > and communication system. I also have the capability of capturing > links to stuff on a remote system (which Evernote can't do). Also, > Evernote has no integrated calendar, which really hurts, in org I can > capture and add a scheduled/deadline timestamp to the item which > effectively implements GTD's recommendation of "using the item itself > as a reminder". The only useful thing I've ever done with Evernote is > take advantage of the OCR search, which means I can capture physical > things fast with the smartphone and find them later via search, like > bookmarking a page from a physical book or capturing a business card. > > -- > tetris is so unrealistic > > >