Thanks Achim! On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Achim Gratz wrote: > Marcelo de Moraes Serpa writes: > > I just bought a scanner and started to scan important documents as a > > backup, and archiving them with meaningful metadata in orgmode files. > > Then a question came to mind - what dpi to use? I'm not really savvy > > when it comes to scanning or printing, and I want like a dpi that > > allows me to reprint the document at an acceptable quality later if > > necessary, but that also doesn't take that much space (600dpi pdfs > > take around 5MB). > > Fax in fine mode has about 200dpi resolution. The raw scan should be in > higher resolution (usually 2x-4x the target resolution depending on the > document quality). The file to be archived then needs to be compressed > (lossless compression is preferred, e.g. TIFF or PNG) and the bit depth > reduced (black and white, usually). When making PDF files you need to > make sure that the image data doesn't get re-coded (often into much > inferior JPEG). For documents containing (color) images it is often > preferrable to separately treat text and images. The best compression > would be achieved if the whole text was extracted via OCR, but that is > probably a lot more effort than you're willing to spend. > > > Regards, > Achim. > -- > +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+ > > Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: > http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldSamplesExtra > > >