Hi Jan, I was in fact just looking at that article again a few minutes ago. I recalled that we had discussed that before briefly and that I saw it somewhere, and then I remembered about the discussion about your archiving system. Thanks again! Marcelo. On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Jan Böcker wrote: > On 11/05/2011 09:03 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote: > > Hi list, > > > > I just bought a scanner and started to scan important documents as a > > backup, and archiving them with meaningful metadata in orgmode files. > > Then a question came to mind - what dpi to use? I'm not really savvy > > when it comes to scanning or printing, and I want like a dpi that allows > > me to reprint the document at an acceptable quality later if necessary, > > but that also doesn't take that much space (600dpi pdfs take around 5MB). > > Hi Marcelo, > > I am using 300 dpi. Even the fine print on my cell phone contract is > still comfortably readable at this resolution. > I guess that about 150 dpi is sufficient for most documents, but I don't > bother thinking about that on a case-by-case basis and just scan > everything at 300 dpi. > > I do scan most documents in grayscale and only enable color when required. > > Said cell phone contract weighs in at 4.6 MiB for a 6-page grayscale PDF > (about 770 KiB per page). > > Btw, my problem with big file sizes it not exactly disk space (which > rapidly becomes cheaper with time) but the time it takes evince to > display the document on my laptop :) > > If you are interested in the shell script I use to scan to PDF files, > see > > http://www.jboecker.de/2010/04/14/general-reference-filing-with-org-mode.html#sec-5 > > Hope this helps, > Jan >