* Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-24 18:38 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-24 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey guys,

So, I would like to keep a sort of dashboard in a osx virtual desktop -
basically having emacs frames with different todo lists for reference at
quick glance:

http://minus.com/mlgjv21R4

The problem is that the agenda is global to the emacs instance and won't
allow me to show a filter view in one frame and another in the other (i.e:
One frame showing all my personal TODOs and the other showing all TODOs
related to my job.).

I could have those lists in separate files, but my configuration now has
all todos in a big gtd.org file.

Is there a way to have differente filters in different frames? If not, any
thoughts on how I could accomplish this idea?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-24 20:48 ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-02-24 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Check out my multiple-agenda-buffers branch from http://github.com/7max/org-mode

Its designed exactly for that (multiple independent agenda buffers
living together). to enable it use, M-x org-toggle-sticky-agenda

You will have to set different agenda names for different agenda views
in your org-agenda-custom-commands variable like so:

 (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("a" "Agenda and NEXT (priority)"
          ((agenda ""
                   ((org-agenda-span 'day)))
           (tags-todo "/!NEXT"
                      ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Next Tasks")
                       (org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
                       (org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
                       (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines t)
                       (org-tags-match-list-sublevels t)
                       (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
                        '(priority-down category-keep)))))
          ((org-agenda-buffer-name "*Agenda*")))
         ("t" "TODO entries"
          todo ""
          ((org-agenda-buffer-name "*Todo List*")))))

Carsten suggested that this will eventually get merged, but I think
people may be afraid, as it's a bit of a major change, converting most
agenda related variables to buffer local, and at least initially had a
several bugs, which took me a few weeks to catch and fix.

But I've been running on this branch for a month+, and quality of
my org-moding had greatly improved, since now all my agendas pop-out
immediately instead of rebuilding for several seconds.

At Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:38:39 -0600,
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> So, I would like to keep a sort of dashboard in a osx virtual desktop - basically having emacs frames with different todo lists
> for reference at quick glance:
>
> http://minus.com/mlgjv21R4
>
> The problem is that the agenda is global to the emacs instance and won't allow me to show a filter view in one frame and another
> in the other (i.e: One frame showing all my personal TODOs and the other showing all TODOs related to my job.).
>
> I could have those lists in separate files, but my configuration now has all todos in a big gtd.org file.
>
> Is there a way to have differente filters in different frames? If not, any thoughts on how I could accomplish this idea?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-27 22:45   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-27 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode, max

Hi Max, thanks for the reply.

That is amazing. Works like a charm - just what I needed.

This should definitely be merged back to the main org distribution!

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-28  0:52     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-28  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode, max

Hi Max,

Although everything else is working great, I'm getting the following error
message when trying to follow links to org files:

"cond: Symbol's function definition is void: org-in-clocktable-p [11 times]"

The link looks like this:

  [[file:~/org/data/dynamic_reference/otherfile.org]]

Any ideas?

- Marcelo.

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-28  1:44       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-28  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although everything else is working great, I'm getting the following error
> message when trying to follow links to org files:
>
> "cond: Symbol's function definition is void: org-in-clocktable-p [11 times]"

Maybe this helps?

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/51998/focus=52186

Nick

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-28  9:49       ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-02-28  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

At Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:52:09 -0600,
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Although everything else is working great, I'm getting the following
> error message when trying to follow links to org files:
>
> "cond: Symbol's function definition is void: org-in-clocktable-p [11 times]"

My branch is probably a few weeks behind the master, so the fix that
Nick mentioned above is not there.

You can temporarily fix this by doing "M-x load-library RET
org-clock".

I'll rebase my branch to the latest origin/master soon, with the pace
of development in org-mode its hard to be completely synced up all the
time.

Regards,
  Max

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-28 16:55         ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode, max

Thanks guys, que quickfix worked. I'll see if I can rebase to org's HEAD
myself, let's see if conflicts don't scare me away. Or perhaps just apply
the fix manually.

- Marcelo.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Max Mikhanosha <max@openchat.com> wrote:

> At Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:52:09 -0600,
> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>
> > Although everything else is working great, I'm getting the following
> > error message when trying to follow links to org files:
> >
> > "cond: Symbol's function definition is void: org-in-clocktable-p [11
> times]"
>
> My branch is probably a few weeks behind the master, so the fix that
> Nick mentioned above is not there.
>
> You can temporarily fix this by doing "M-x load-library RET
> org-clock".
>
> I'll rebase my branch to the latest origin/master soon, with the pace
> of development in org-mode its hard to be completely synced up all the
> time.
>
> Regards,
>  Max

* Re: Frames and the agenda
@ 2012-02-28 16:57           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode, max

Anyway, I can't emphasize enough how useful this feature is. Having
different agenda filtered views at the same time is a timesaver. This
should be in the main org branch!

Thanks for that, Max.

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <
celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys, que quickfix worked. I'll see if I can rebase to org's HEAD
> myself, let's see if conflicts don't scare me away. Or perhaps just apply
> the fix manually.
>
> - Marcelo.
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Max Mikhanosha <max@openchat.com> wrote:
>
>> At Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:52:09 -0600,
>> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>>
>> > Although everything else is working great, I'm getting the following
>> > error message when trying to follow links to org files:
>> >
>> > "cond: Symbol's function definition is void: org-in-clocktable-p [11
>> times]"
>>
>> My branch is probably a few weeks behind the master, so the fix that
>> Nick mentioned above is not there.
>>
>> You can temporarily fix this by doing "M-x load-library RET
>> org-clock".
>>
>> I'll rebase my branch to the latest origin/master soon, with the pace
>> of development in org-mode its hard to be completely synced up all the
>> time.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Max

* Rebased to the latest tip
@ 2012-02-29 17:55             ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-02-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

At Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:57:11 -0600,
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Anyway, I can't emphasize enough how useful this feature is. Having
> different agenda filtered views at the same time is a
> timesaver. This should be in the main org branch!

Thanks for the kind words, I think you are the only person who
seriously tried it.

As for merging its up to the maintainers. If there are any objections
or code needs to be cleaned up or such, I have not heard anything.

Anyway I had re-based multiple-agenda-buffers branch to the latest
origin/master, and it seems to have went smoothly, and pushed to
https://github.com/7max/org-mode

Regards,
  Max