* [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-10-04 21:34 Giovanni Giorgi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Giovanni Giorgi @ 2011-10-04 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode; +Cc: charlesweb

Hi all,
 I have just published my org-mode parser for the node-js javascript based server:

http://gioorgi.com/org-mode-parser/

It is a Javascript parser for the Emacs Org-mode file format.

I use org-mode as a database for some programs (like games) where I need to mix meta information to a bunch of long textual data.

I wrote it because I was unable to find an implementation for my needs.

I like too much org-mode to let nodejs without a parser, and as expected the simple org-mode format was easy to parse.
I started from the Charles Cave's OrgNode python parser, but I need to modify it a lot because of JavaScript different nature.

Please feel free to give me your feedback

---
Gio's Blog http://gioorgi.com

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-10-05  1:43 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-10-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Giorgi; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode

This.is.simply.awesome!

I was procrastinating on this as well. There's one for ruby as well which
I've been playing with, this could give me some inspiration to contribute
back.

Keep up the great work,

- Marcelo.

@ 2011-10-05 15:21   ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-10-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode, Giovanni Giorgi

Hi Gio,

Perhaps it is my ignorance of how this all works, but do you have a small example of how/why one would use this?  As is obvious from my question, I'm not familiar with nodejs.

Chris

@ 2011-10-05 15:56     ` Giovanni Giorgi
From: Giovanni Giorgi @ 2011-10-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

 you can find a simple example
here
https://github.com/daitangio/org-mode-parser [4]

with the source
code too.

Anyway, the simpler way is to install the package (via npm)
and use the makelist(...) function to read and parse in an asyncronous
way the org-nodes:

var
orgParser=require('org-mode-parser');
orgParser.makelist("README.org",
function (nodelist){
 // Here nodelist is a list of Orgnode objects
(ref:putyourcode)
 console.dir(nodelist);
});

I have just pushed the
revision 0.0.2.

Take a look here for unit testing
example

https://github.com/daitangio/org-mode-parser/blob/master/test/parserTest.js
[5]

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:21:09 -0700, Chris Malone wrote:

> Hi Gio,

> Perhaps it is my ignorance of how this all works, but do you have a
small example of how/why one would use this? As is obvious from my
question, I'm not familiar with nodejs.
> Chris
>
> On Oct 4, 2011, at
6:43 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

This.is.simply.awesome!

>> I was procrastinating on this as well.
There's one for ruby as well which I've been playing with, this could
give me some inspiration to contribute back.

>> Keep up the great
work,

http://gioorgi.com/org-mode-parser/ [1]

>>> It is a Javascript
parser for the Emacs Org-mode file format.

>>> I use org-mode as a
database for some programs (like games) where I need to mix meta
information to a bunch of long textual data.

>>> I wrote it
because I was unable to find an implementation for my needs.

like too much org-mode to let nodejs without a parser, and as expected
the simple org-mode format was easy to parse.
>>> I started from the
Charles Cave's OrgNode python parser, but I need to modify it a lot
because of JavaScript different nature.

>>> Please feel free to
give me your feedback

>>> ---
>>> Gio's Blog http://gioorgi.com
[2]

Links:
------
[1] http://gioorgi.com/org-mode-parser/
[2]
http://gioorgi.com/
[3] mailto:jj@gioorgi.com
[4]

@ 2011-10-06 14:57 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-10-06 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Giorgi; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode

This is great.

We should start a page on Worg with links to external tools for
manipulating Org-mode files.  Such a page could point to this
implementation as well as the python, ruby org libraries and maybe even
the Vim clone of Org-mode.

Thanks for sharing! -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-10-29 10:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-10-29 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode, Giovanni Giorgi

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> We should start a page on Worg with links to external tools for
> manipulating Org-mode files.  Such a page could point to this
> implementation as well as the python, ruby org libraries and maybe even
> the Vim clone of Org-mode.

There is such a page already:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tools/index.html

I've just updated it -- please check in 30 minutes.

Also, VimOrganizer deserves a page for itself...  don't know
if this is still actively developed though.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-12-11 13:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-11 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Giorgi; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Giorgi <jj@gioorgi.com> writes:

> I have just published my org-mode parser for the node-js javascript
> based server:
>
> http://gioorgi.com/org-mode-parser/

Thanks!

Could this somehow be plugged to Substance?  Or could this be
adapted to export Org files in the Data.Graph data format?

http://substance.io/
http://substance.io/substance/substance-internals

--
 Bastien

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-12-11 18:04   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-12-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode, Giovanni Giorgi

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> Giovanni Giorgi <jj@gioorgi.com> writes:
>
>> I have just published my org-mode parser for the node-js javascript
>> based server:
>>
>> http://gioorgi.com/org-mode-parser/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Could this somehow be plugged to Substance?  Or could this be
> adapted to export Org files in the Data.Graph data format?
>
> http://substance.io/
> http://substance.io/substance/substance-internals

This is the first I've seen of substance.io, it looks very interesting.
I wonder how similar the substance document data structure is to the new
org-parse data structure, and if it would be difficult or rewarding to
write a translator between the two.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-12-11 23:21     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-11 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode, Giovanni Giorgi

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> This is the first I've seen of substance.io, it looks very interesting.
> I wonder how similar the substance document data structure is to the new
> org-parse data structure, and if it would be difficult or rewarding to
> write a translator between the two.

I wonder the same -- I guess we'll all have more insight when we try
writing new exporter with the new export engine.  Just though it was
good to throw this reference early enough...

--
 Bastien

* Re: [ANN] Org Mode parser  v0.0.1 for NodeJs
@ 2011-12-12 21:19       ` Giovanni Giorgi
From: Giovanni Giorgi @ 2011-12-12 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: charlesweb, Emacs orgmode, Eric Schulte

Hi,
 sorry for my late response.
I have little time right now, but I think org-mode could be integrated.
The current node.js org-mode parser is not designed to take care of the content of a paragraph (for instance it will not be able to detect numbered lists), and I fear this is its major weak point.
But for the rest, I have done some tests and the parser is quite robust.
Please grab the last version from npm, it has a good set of unit tests