* Superscript and non-blank character
@ 2020-07-11  0:33 Bo Grimes
From: Bo Grimes @ 2020-07-11  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Emacs 26.3, Org-mode 9.1.9, Kubuntu 20.04, 5.4.0-39-generic

Hi,

I've tried my hardest to find an answer in the manuals (print book and
on-line), this list, Reddit, and Stack Exchange with no luck.  I use
Emacs for org-mode, and I don't code or know Elisp. I have no use for or
interest in learning LaTeX.  I never use subscript, and I only use
superscript in poetry/prose (mostly quotes, not original), and I don't
foresee (but admit I may) a need to export.

I understand that:

> ^2H is not recognized as superscript _on purpose_. Per Org syntax, you
> have to add a non-blank character before the caret. Otherwise, there
> would be ambiguity between underline (e.g., _under_) and subscript
> (_under). And superscript syntax follows subscript's. [1]

That makes sense to me as a default [2], given that so many org-mode
users use both in math, science, and literate coding context, so I
wouldn't think to suggest it to be changed.  All I want to know is how I
can change it for *me*.

I would like to org-toggle-pretty-entities in a buffer and see
superscript before, say, a poetry line or Bible verse I'm quoting in a
note or journal entry, and not see the non-blank character.

Can this be done via customize or with an Elisp snippet in init.el?

Thanks!

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-06/msg01022.html

[2] Though I wish it were made explicit in the manuals
https://orgmode.org/manual/Subscripts-and-Superscripts.html#Subscripts-and-Superscripts
(Org Mode 9 Reference Manual p 132). It took me a while to figure out
why it wasn't working at all.