* Slideshow using org-tree-to-indirect-buffer
@ 2012-04-03 14:42 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2012-04-03 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org-mode to keep my notes about a slideshow.

The slideshow is a separate PDF, which is fine with me.

I'd like to have a quick 1-button press in emacs that would go
to the next headline, and "open" the headline like the super-cool
org-tree-to-indirect-buffer
so I can see my notes quickly.

I've thought about using the many html export and slideshow options,
but the key thing
is that I want to modify my slideshow notes while presenting, as well
as type in student questions
that happen on a particular slide into org-mode.

So, I thought about writing a small function that would do something like this:

1) Go to the next headline
2) Run org-tree-to-indirect-buffer on the headline

This would get me going in the right direction and save me several key presses,
but I can already see problems if I switch to the indirect buffer to
write down another note.  Then,
I'll have to jump back to the other window, and hope that the cursor
is in the right spot
when I run my function again.

A more elegant way would be to only show the indirect buffer, and have
a hotkey that
jumps to the next headline and runs org-tree-to-indirect-buffer.

So here's my question:

If I'm in an indirect buffer, is there a reference back to the location of
the headline in the *parent* document?  For example, if I have

* One
* Two
* Three

and I'm zoomed into "Two", could I write a function that would know that I'm
on "Two" in the main document, and then run
org-tree-to-indirect-buffer on "Three"?

Thanks,

--Nate