From: Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com>
To: Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com>,
	emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: CUSTOM_ID vs ID
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 09:53:31 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 3:10 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've often been confused why org-mode has both a CUSTOM_ID
> > and a ID property.  I mean, why not just use one or the other name?
>
> Custom ID are user-defined, and only meaningful in the scope of the
> document. Also, they may appear as-is when exported, e.g., as an anchor
> in HTML.
>
> ID are (or should be) generated by Org, and are valid across files,
> which means they need to be absolutely unique.
>
> Org keeps track of ID if `org-id-track-globally' is non-nil (the
> default). If this is nil, there is almost no difference between ID and
> custom ID.
>
> > When would I ever have both an ID and a CUSTOM_ID property for
> > a heading?
>
> You may want to refer to a heading from anywhere with id:... but need
> a clean anchor in HTML export, for example.
>
> FWIW, I never use ID property.

Hi Nicolas,

Ah yes, I remember when I was exporting to HTML and would have
both properties.  Thank you.

Also, I think I will stick with ID purely because I want links which
span multiple org mode files.

I also plan to learn some more Emacs Lisp to make this link creation
thing a bit easier.  I know there's been efforts to get org to behave a lot
like a Wiki (which I think it already does):
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-blog-wiki.html

I'd like to mess with Helm and get a custom helm source.  org-insert-link
can already use Helm, but it could be improved a bit.

* Show the IDs (*and* headings :-) of recently created links (because you
know,
the IDs are hash codes (grumble grumble).  Currently Helm just shows the
IDs :-(

* Show a second Helm list of headings (perhaps all headings in org-mode
files)
- If heading already has an ID, then simply use that ID.

* Provide a context menu, where you can choose to create an ID
- Provide a mini buffer to *specify* an ID (evil laugh).  Default action
will
create an ID

Thanks,
--Nate