On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 3:10 AM Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Nathan Neff writes: > > > I've often been confused why org-mode has both a CUSTOM_ID > > and a ID property. I mean, why not just use one or the other name? > > Custom ID are user-defined, and only meaningful in the scope of the > document. Also, they may appear as-is when exported, e.g., as an anchor > in HTML. > > ID are (or should be) generated by Org, and are valid across files, > which means they need to be absolutely unique. > I have a lot of org files and one of the main purposes of links is to be able to link to different headings across documents. This seems to imply I should use the ID property. However, I usually *do* manually assign IDs (not CUSTOM_IDs) myself. The reason is so I can reasonably search for the ID within my org files and that the link ID makes some sense to me. For example, if I see a link to "id:keyboard_shortcuts" I can tell where it's going. Later on, if I want to insert a link to my keyboard shortcuts heading in another place in my org files, I can make a guess of the ID I want to link to. So, I guess I'm okay manually assigning ID properties, as long as I don't have conflicts. Thanks for the explanation! Thanks, --Nate > > Org keeps track of ID if `org-id-track-globally' is non-nil (the > default). If this is nil, there is almost no difference between ID and > custom ID. > > > When would I ever have both an ID and a CUSTOM_ID property for > > a heading? > > You may want to refer to a heading from anywhere with id:... but need > a clean anchor in HTML export, for example. > > FWIW, I never use ID property. > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou >