* Using regular expressions in custom agenda views
@ 2020-06-28 20:05 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm having a difficult time using regular expressions in custom
"tags-todo" agenda views.

Is it possible to create custom agenda views using regular expressions,
and if so, do I need to escape certain characters?

I can't get a simple regex like this to work, so I'm suspecting that
I'm doing something wrong or, it's simply not possible to create custom
agenda views that use regular expressions to search for tags.

For example, this expression doesn't even find headings with :projectA:
as a tag

  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
  '(
     ("1" tags-todo "{projectA}")))

I have the regex surrounded in {} because of the documentation about doing
a tags search - do I need those when using a custom agenda view?

The info page says:
"The second parameter is the search type followed by the string or regular
expression
to be used for the matching" - how do I specify a regular expression versus
a simple
string?

This attempt gives me back a bunch of headings that simply match :project:
but have no
capital A anywhere in the tags.
  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
  '(
     ("1" tags-todo "project[A]")))

Any help appreciated
Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Using regular expressions in custom agenda views
@ 2020-06-28 21:12 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-06-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff writes:

> I'm having a difficult time using regular expressions in custom
> "tags-todo" agenda views.
>
> Is it possible to create custom agenda views using regular expressions,
> and if so, do I need to escape certain characters?
>
> I can't get a simple regex like this to work, so I'm suspecting that
> I'm doing something wrong or, it's simply not possible to create custom
> agenda views that use regular expressions to search for tags.
>
> For example, this expression doesn't even find headings with :projectA:
> as a tag
>
>   (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>   '(
>      ("1" tags-todo "{projectA}")))

My understanding is that the above should work.  I tried your
org-agenda-custom-commands value with this agenda file:

    * TODO a                                                           :projectA:
    * TODO b                                                           :projectB:
    * TODO c                                                           :project:

With an otherwise vanilla configuration and master (0c1740c91) checked
out, I see

    Headlines with TAGS match: {projectA}
    Press ‘C-u r’ to search again
      scratch:    TODO a                                                                  :projectA:

I see the same thing on maint (3ed035ce3).

* Re: Using regular expressions in custom agenda views
@ 2020-06-28 22:27   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:12 PM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

> Nathan Neff writes:
>
> > I'm having a difficult time using regular expressions in custom
> > "tags-todo" agenda views.
> >
> > Is it possible to create custom agenda views using regular expressions,
> > and if so, do I need to escape certain characters?
> >
> > I can't get a simple regex like this to work, so I'm suspecting that
> > I'm doing something wrong or, it's simply not possible to create custom
> > agenda views that use regular expressions to search for tags.
> >
> > For example, this expression doesn't even find headings with :projectA:
> > as a tag
> >
> >   (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
> >   '(
> >      ("1" tags-todo "{projectA}")))
>
> My understanding is that the above should work.  I tried your
> org-agenda-custom-commands value with this agenda file:
>
>     * TODO a
>  :projectA:
>     * TODO b
>  :projectB:
>     * TODO c
>  :project:
>
> With an otherwise vanilla configuration and master (0c1740c91) checked
> out, I see
>
>     Headlines with TAGS match: {projectA}
>     Press ‘C-u r’ to search again
>       scratch:    TODO a
>                 :projectA:
>
> I see the same thing on maint (3ed035ce3).

Thanks - I'm using Org 9.3.6 and I'm getting no matches when using emacs -q

I had some other issues w/regexes and Bastien fixed them in "maint":
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/c0d08b7efe740c17a3eec28984161c05e43da5ef

Is it relatively easy to try org-mode's "maint" version (e.g. just check
out branch from
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode ?)  I'll try using the "maint"
version to see what's up.

@ 2020-06-28 22:28     ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

GRRRR I tried "package update" and package mgr in Emacs kept telling me
that Org 9.3.6 was the latest.  Now I look @ orgmode.org and see 9.3.7 -
I'll try that first
after I figure out how to get that "package" or whatever that thing is to
actually show the latest
versions of packages.

@ 2020-06-28 22:39       ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Still isn't working with org-mode 9.3.7 (org-20200622) and
using emacs -q

I have this file:

* One
 :project:a:work:boss:projectA:
:PROPERTIES:
:Effort:   1:00
:END:
* Two
 :projectB:
:PROPERTIES:
:Effort:   2:00
:END:

* Bar
 :pt:project:b:

And this custom view returns nothing:
(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
 '(("1" tags-todo "{projectA}")))

If I do a tags-todo search manually and use this syntax: {projectA}
it works.

Ideas?

@ 2020-06-28 22:48         ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

More wonkiness:

This custom view (no regexes) doesn't work, but manually entering projectA
(no quotes) in a tags-todo search
*does* work - so maybe my problem isn't regexes, but something else with my
org-agenda-custom-commands . . . .

@ 2020-06-28 22:54           ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2020-06-28 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode