for me, moving to use-package was fairly painless - my init file was only 20+ years worth of accumulated tweaks and configuration! Was well worth the effort though as it also fixed some annoying 'quirks' I had sort of got use to. WRT Emacs 27 - I gave up bleeding edge Emacs a few years back. Prefer the stability and there wasn't much in new versions that justified the regular updates and rebuilds etc. On 10 April 2018 at 15:20, Eric S Fraga wrote: > On Tuesday, 10 Apr 2018 at 07:51, Tim Cross wrote: > > I have also found the 'use-package' package to be extremely useful in > > making my setup clearer, further controlling package setup/load and > > deferring package loading to get faster startup times. > > Yes, I've heard good thing about use-package. My problem is that my > .emacs etc. is a 35 year old mess. I need to start over but of course > there is incredible inertia in doing so. > > > I wouldn't worry about emacs 27 too much. We are still waiting on emacs > > 26, so emacs 27 is probably 5+ years away yet! > > Well, you'll see from my signature that I use v27. I track emacs > development for the excitement! The problem is that I have one system > where I am still using v25. > > Anyway, I think this has gone completely off-topic for the org list! > > thanks, > eric > -- > Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.6-347-gd73a5e > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross