From: Dieter Van Eessen <dieter.van.eessen@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Usage of org-element api
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:45:05 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Rasmus,

Thank you for the fast reply, the link you've given on interpreting is very
useful ! Also didn't know there existed such thing as the org-dp library to
manipulate org-elements, I'll sure check it out.

More about question number 3:
>> 3) How can the output of (org-element-parse-secondary-string ...) be
used.
>> When I give a heading and bit of text as input (output of
>> buffer-substring), it looks like it returns the 'content' of the region.
>> Though I can't seem to use it anyway as 'CONTENT' for the functions
>> requiring this.

The reason I've tried this (and the internal org-element--parse-elements)
is because I'd prefer not having to parse the whole buffer and still get
the contents. The local parsing functions (org-element-at-point) and
(org-element-context) don't contain content (stated in the org-element api,
also tried it ).

Now I'm not sure IF I really NEED it? I could actually get the contents
using the  :content-begin and :content-end and other properties from
(org-elemen-at-point)  BUT I don't know the exact syntax the content should
have and how to merge it with the element-list I get from
(org-element-at-point) before feeding it to the org-element-interpret-data.

I don't actually know how 'content' looks like...  When applying a small
function
" (defun test
()

    (interactive)

(debug)

    (setq content (org-element-contents (org-element-parse-buffer))))"
on a simple headline with some text,
" * woot
     And a bit of text "
I can see in debugger (returned values) that 'content' is actually
(org-data nil ('content'). See output below. Thus concluding that content
is also just an <element>. Then why do all the
org-element-<element>-interpreters require both the <element>  AND
'content', since to me, it seems logical that all this information is
already inside <element>.

At first I thought that the things behind #  were 'content' (for example in
the output below. These don't show up in (org-element-at-point), thus
explaining why they returned nil when asked for content. The
org-element-parse-secondary-string also returns all things behind #. If
this is NOT content, then how to manipulate this data (behind the #) whilst
assuring that syntax and position remains valid for
org-element-interpret-data to understand?

OUTPUT:
 (org-data nil (headline (:raw-value "woot" :begin 1 :end 29 :pre-blank 0
:contents-begin 8 ...) (section (:begin 8 :end 29 :contents-begin
  8 :contents-end 26 :post-blank 2 ...) (paragraph (:begin 8 :end 26
:contents-begin 8 :contents-end 26 :post-blank 0 ...) #("And a bit of
  text  " 0 18 (:parent #3))))))

  ((headline (:raw-value "woot" :begin 1 :end 29 :pre-blank 0
:contents-begin 8 ...) (section (:begin 8 :end 29 :contents-begin 8
  :contents-end 26 :post-blank 2 ...) (paragraph (:begin 8 :end 26
:contents-begin 8 :contents-end 26 :post-blank 0 ...) #("And a bit of text
  " 0 18 (:parent #3))))))

Perhaps my view is completely wrong, so please correct me if possible.
Thanks for the time,
Dieter

--
gtz,