* Archiving logged work time
@ 2012-12-19  8:57 Torben Hoffmann
From: Torben Hoffmann @ 2012-12-19  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been using org-mode for 6 months to track my working time, but now I
am stepping my usage up a bit since I have found it useful to have all my
to-dos in one tool.

Until now I have had a template file with the things I work on, so that I
can easily create a new file every week. This is drive by a need to report
time every week to a fixed set of activities.

So far I have just moved the old file and then created a new file with all
my tasks in.

However, now that I am using more of org-mode I am not so sure that
this monolithic time tracking file is a good idea, but I am not sure about
how I can archive just the logged time entries, but keep the activity for
logging time on next week.
When I stand on a line with a CLOCK entry the archive function will archive
the whole sub-tree that I am standing in.

It might be that I should just create a number of files for the major
things I am working on and then archive the task as well as the time logged
against it every week. This means that I would have to retype the task for
the next week, but if that is the best way of doing it I will start doing
that.

Advice most welcome - I am in learning mode and want to improve my usage of
org-mode.

Cheers,
__
 /orben

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann

* Re: Archiving logged work time
@ 2012-12-24  0:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torben Hoffmann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torben,

Torben Hoffmann <torben.lehoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Advice most welcome - I am in learning mode and want to improve my
> usage of org-mode.

Not really an advice, but I was in a similar situation to yours,
and I ended up tracking at higher level.  Instead of tracking time
on small tasks, I track time in thematic subtrees.  This gives me
what I want: less logs, ability to archive small tasks, etc.

--
 Bastien