Hi, It seems that org-mode does not correctly parse custom to-do states when they are preceded by a priority. This example org-mode file demonstrates the issue: #+TODO: TODO BLOCKED DONE * TODO [#A] this works * BLOCKED [#A] this works * [#A] TODO this works * [#A] BLOCKED this does not work On the first three lines, Emacs correctly recognizes the to-do state and renders it as a different color, and commands to cycle the state work correctly. But on the fourth line, Emacs doesn't understand that 'BLOCKED' is supposed to be a to-do state, and if I cycle the state with C-c C-t, it adds the keyword to before the priority, like this: * TODO [#A] BLOCKED this does not work To make sure it wasn't an issue with my config, I asked an Emacs-using coworker to replicate, and his didn't work either, but it behaved incorrectly on both lines 3 and 4, whereas mine behaves correctly on line 3 but not on line 4. You could argue that this is expected behavior and the priority should go after the to-do state, but IMO it should work either way because it can still be unambiguously parsed. I have some Emacs extensions that automatically put the priority before the to-do state, which then causes Emacs to parse the header incorrectly. Thanks, Michael Emacs : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, Carbon Version 158 AppKit 1671.1) of 2018-12-13 Package: Org mode version 9.1.14 (9.1.14-9-g131531-elpaplus @ /Users/michaeldickens/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20181217/)