Emacs did return a runtime error, it was simply my mistake not to have noticed it in the Message buffer. 2013/11/9 Jambunathan K > > Christof > > Christof Spitz writes: > > > I found the bug: Windows-Emacs was missing the libxml2 library. I got > > the libxml2-2.7.8.-w32-bin.zip, copied the content of /bin into Emacs' > > /bin directory and now the formatting works. > > This should have been very difficult to track down. > > ox-freemind.el does invoke `libxml-parse-xml-region'. I think Emacs > should raise a runtime error (and not return nil) if the above API is > called but libxml is unavailable. > > ps: This bug is a good excuse to audit "other" such wrapper calls (if > there are any) and make sure that they don't fall silently. > > > > > >