From: Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com>
Subject: Re: Embedding an image in base64; exporting to ascii, html, and latex?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:38:46 -0400	[thread overview]

> I see how base64 images can be used for HTML, but I don't know
> how to use them for LaTeX -- and I doubt it makes sense.  But for
> HTML, yes, we can explore this feature... on my MAYBE list!

I would vote against inclusion of ascii-encoded binary files in org.
This violates the "it's just text" spirit of org.

On the other hand, it would be very nice for org-mode to support the
inclusion of org files in a zipped container. Developing a standard
folder structure to include images and other files in a single ".orgz"
that could be directly edited in emacs would be wonderful. This could
be very useful for doing reproducible research. It would allow easy
file exchange. Inclusion of specific export formats could also be
easily supported.

A quick test show that Emacs Archive mode already allows editing of
org files contained in zip files. Using external programs such as
latex almost works. An exported pdf file is generated correctly, but
it ends up not inside the zip file, but in the same folder that
contains the zip file. It has a name that starts with the zip
filename, but it has "/" and the intended name of the pdf file
appended.

It might not be that much work to fix export code and image import
macros to fully support a standard org archive format.