Johan: You can try the following: #+NAME: lscode #+BEGIN_ASCII ls -alh #+END_ASCII #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var code=lscode (message code) #+END_SRC #+RESULTS: : ls -alh I haven't tried the noweb references, but it does return the code block in the variable. Martín On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM Johan W. Klüwer wrote: > Is there a way to assign the uninterpreted content of an executable source > block to a variable? Preferably, using a :var header argument? That is, > return the text in the block, not the result of evaluating it, and > preferably with noweb references expanded. > > "example" blocks return text the way I want, but they can't be evaluated, > and of course noweb is ruled out for them. > > The function org-babel-ref-resolve could to the job if there were a switch > to block evaluation. > > > Why this is interesting: I wish to use url-hexify-string on the text of a > named SPARQL query. > > Cheers, Johan >