From: Martin Alsinet <martin@alsinet.com.ar>
To: "Charles R (Charlie) Martin" <chasrmartin@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: can't get org-mode noweb tangle to work
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 05:38:50 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello Charlie:

I have found that I like better to use a combination of tangle and import
instead of noweb syntax.

#+BEGIN_SRC python :tangle board.py
def init_board(args)
    return [[-1 for x in range(3)] for y in range(3)]
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC python
import sys
import os
from board import init_board

def main(args):
    init_board(args)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main(sys.argv)
#+END_SRC

Then, you do a *M-x org-babel-tangle* and org will write the first block
into board.py. Then you go into the second block and run it with *C-c C-c* and
it will load the init_board function from the tangled file.

Writing it this way forces you to modularize your code blocks to be able to
call them from other blocks and you can even build your whole application
tangling the source blocks into files.

The :noweb syntax seems to me to be a templating solution used for a code
module problem.

I hope it helps you

Martin