* MobileOrg for Android 0.8.0
@ 2012-02-07  8:11 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2012-02-07  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi Matthew, hi to all

Thank you very much for MobileOrg 0.8. It has improved very much since
the last update. Really good work.

I have a few questions.

1. Calendar Sync doesn't seem to work on my device. I chose one of my
   GoogleCalendars to sync to. But the Test item I created didn't show
   up in the stock calendar app, even after a while. Do I have to create
   a new calendar to sync to? Or is it necessary to trigger syncing
   somehow? On the other hand, if a GoogleCalendar is fine, will it sync
   to the GoogleCalendar proper?

2. Is it now possible to edit org-files within MobileOrg, i.e. actually
   use MobileOrg as an editor for papers in orgmode? In the past I had
   occasions where edits were swallowed after syncing. Now, I added just
   one sentence to an existing org-file in 0.8. It worked! So, is it
   save to entrust long text-edits to MobileOrg?

3. Would it be possible (in the long run) to have TAGS as a pop-up to
   choose from in the Capture feature? Just like TODO keywords?

Thanks again,

Sven

* Re: MobileOrg for Android 0.8.0
@ 2012-02-07  8:42 ` Tom Regner
From: Tom Regner @ 2012-02-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Sven,

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Thank you very much for MobileOrg 0.8. It has improved very much since
> the last update. Really good work.

I second that - it's an awesome release.

> 1. Calendar Sync doesn't seem to work on my device. I chose one of my
>    GoogleCalendars to sync to. But the Test item I created didn't show
>    up in the stock calendar app, even after a while. Do I have to create
>    a new calendar to sync to? Or is it necessary to trigger syncing
>    somehow? On the other hand, if a GoogleCalendar is fine, will it sync
>    to the GoogleCalendar proper?

I tried a lot of the possible combinations of actions -- it never
worked; I opend an issue here
https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/151

kind regards,
Tom

* Re: MobileOrg for Android 0.8.0
@ 2012-02-07 13:14 ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2012-02-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hey Sven, glad you like it!

1. Calendar sync only looks at new items as they come in.  So anything
that's on your device already will need to be rey-synced to pick up the
changes.  The easiest way to do this is to use the "Clear Database" option
under the settings menu.  After doing this you can re-sync your files and
it will re-process your SCHEDULE and DEADLINE items into the calendar.

2. The storage and edit handling aspect of MobileOrg has been completely
rewritten.  It is now much safer to edit and capture files than in the
past.  However, we still aren't editing files directly since org-mode in
emacs still wouldn't know how to handle it.  Hopefully in the future that
will change, but for now at least... we've made it safer from the MobileOrg
side.

3. Absolutely... it's already a feature request:
https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/146  So hopefully we
can have that implemented in the near future.

@ 2012-02-07 17:18   ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2012-02-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Regner; +Cc: emacs-org

Calendar items are only added when new content comes in, so if you are
having trouble with them not showing up you can try to clear your database
and re-sync.  Afterwards we'll pick up any changes to your org files and
handle it automatically.

@ 2012-02-08  7:00   ` Tom Regner
From: Tom Regner @ 2012-02-08  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Tom Regner <tom@tomsdiner.org> writes:
> Hi Sven,
>
> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>

>> Thank you very much for MobileOrg 0.8. It has improved very much since
>> the last update. Really good work.
>
> I second that - it's an awesome release.
>
>> 1. Calendar Sync doesn't seem to work on my device. I chose one of my
>>    GoogleCalendars to sync to. But the Test item I created didn't show
>>    up in the stock calendar app, even after a while. Do I have to create
>>    a new calendar to sync to? Or is it necessary to trigger syncing
>>    somehow? On the other hand, if a GoogleCalendar is fine, will it sync
>>    to the GoogleCalendar proper?
>
> I tried a lot of the possible combinations of actions -- it never
> worked; I opend an issue here
> https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues/151

This issue is closed; and with version 0.8.1 my scheduled items /are/
indeed put in my google-calendar - just awesome.

king regards,
Tom

* Re: MobileOrg for Android 0.8.0
@ 2012-02-08  8:27     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2012-02-08  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Regner; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi

Tom Regner <tom@goochesa.de> writes:

> This issue is closed; and with version 0.8.1 my scheduled items /are/
> indeed put in my google-calendar - just awesome.

Yes, it's working now with the new update. It seems to work only for
scheduled items and deadlines. Wouldn't it be possible to have normal
appointments synced?

Sven

--
Prof. Dr. Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für

* Re: MobileOrg for Android 0.8.0
@ 2012-02-08 14:34       ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2012-02-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-org

Can you tell me what you mean by this?

@ 2012-02-08 18:24         ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2012-02-08 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-org

Hi Matthew

Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> writes:

> Can you tell me what you mean by this?

What is working is:

* TODO Wash clothes
  SCHEDULED: <2012-02-08 Mi 19:00>

and

* TODO Prepare Paper
  DEADLINE: <2012-02-08 Mi 20:00>

What seems not to work is:

* Lunch with Sheldon Cooper
  <2012-02-08 Mi 12:00-13:00>

Is that supposed to work? I just tested it again. Calendar sync seems to
ignore appointments, i.e. dates without SCHEDULED or DEADLINE. I guess
that these strings are used as triggers for the Calendar sync mechanism.

Greetings,

@ 2012-02-08 23:47           ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2012-02-08 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-org

What org mechanism do you use to put that date in there?  We do key
specifically from those tags that you mentioned.

@ 2012-02-08 23:53             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-org, nicholas.dokos

Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> wrote:

> What org mechanism do you use to put that date in there?  We do key specifically from those tags that you mentioned.

I use C-c . (org-time-stamp) to insert such time stamps into my
appts.org file. I assume Sven does the same.

Nick

@ 2012-02-09  7:30               ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2012-02-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Tom Regner, emacs-org

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What org mechanism do you use to put that date in there?  We do key specifically from those tags that you mentioned.
>
> I use C-c . (org-time-stamp) to insert such time stamps into my
> appts.org file. I assume Sven does the same.

Yes, that's right.

Sven