* =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-15 21:34  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I'm working with a document to export to LaTeX and I had a crazy
problem that only reproduced with emacs23, not with the emacs-snapshot
repository for ubuntu. But it started to happen with the latest
snapshot too.
Lot's of short words (3 or less chars) appeared as links and when I
exported the document to LaTeX they all appeared with
\hyperref{sec-1}.
Finally I identified the part that was messing with the export and it
was ~<<<...>>>~ or =<<<...>>>=.
It seems that two << are treated speacially, I don't know.
I'll fix that later but I don't really know how. =aaa= was supposed to
be \{verbatim}. <<<...>>> is a sintaxis to call CUDA kernels, the
place to put the parameters and I want to mention it in the text. I'll
use =< < <...> > >= for now and the dammed symbols still couple.

The "little words as links" is a strange thing. I thought it was for
being on windows at first, but it was about the version: I had ubuntu
with emacs24 at home and winXP with emacs23 at work. I can't rememeber
if it happened with other documents but in any case doesn't looks
good. Has anyone had a similar problem with another "forbidden
string"?
How can I put that string verbatim in my text?
Do I have to go back to "pure LaTeX" for that paragraph?

Thank you in advance.

If the error doesn't reproduce just like that, please tell me and I'll
do more tests in a separate document or link you to a copy. Well, I'll
just do it now:
http://preann.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/preann/preann/doc/preann-doc.org

Note: I've using emacs only for five months and I don't think I can
change to another editor if it has not org-mode, congratulations to
the developers. I still feel that something bigger is going to come
out of this.
Still using Eclipse for coding, but that has to change.

--
Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 19:17 `  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-17 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been testing a little more. I anyone wants to reproduce the error.

Here's a simpler example, just create a file with this:

#+AUTHOR: test

* 123 1 2 3 4
aaa =<<<...>>>= aa a a

And export it with C-c C-e L.

The output buffer will look like this:

% Created 2012-09-17 Mon 21:09
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\title{test}
\author{test}
\date{17 September 2012}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}

\section{[[sec-1]\$\^{}{123}\$] \hyperref[sec-1]{1 2} \hyperref[sec-1]{3 4}}

[[sec-1][aaa]] \texttt{<<<...>>>} aa \hyperref[sec-1]{a a}

\end{document}

It doesn't reproduce with =<<...>>= nor =<<...>>>= nor =<<<>>>=. But
interestingly, by changing the number of dots inside the inequality
signs, the places where the hyperrefs appear change too. The number of
dots seems to determine the number of chars that each of these false
links will have. They can include spaces.

I have no idea about what is happening, though.
Any help is welcomed.

--
Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 19:24 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Search the manual for "radio targets".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 20:10   `  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much, now all makes sense. And I hopefully find some
use for radio targets.

The only way I know to do what I want is \verb=<<<=...\verb=>>>=, in
case someone has a similar problem.

--
Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 20:53     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?ISO-8859-1?B?CUpvcmdlIFRpbfNu?=; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

	Jorge Timón <jtimonmv@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only way I know to do what I want is \verb=<<<=...\verb=>>>=, in
> case someone has a similar problem.

If you don't mind the extra space around the dots, you can say

   aaa ~<<<~ ... ~>>>~ aa a a

the advantage being that it is backend-independent, so it will export
correctly to HTML and presumably all the other backends --- at least
with the new exporter: I didn't try the old one.

There are ways to deal with the spaces as well (the one before the dots
is no problem: it's the one after that causes a problem in this case),
but imo they are not worth the bother unless you really, really need that
exact behavior. I'd rather live with the spaces (or edit the resulting latex
file, but that has disadvantages of its own).

Nick

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 21:21       `  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I wouldn't care about the spaces and I would prefer not to use latex.
The problem is that that produces:

\texttt{<<<} \ldots{} \texttt{>>>}

and then latex joins the first << and the first >> together, which is
really ugly.

My document is already LaTeX specific, but if I'm able replace more
latex with org mode, I should consider a later edition of the tex
produced to keep it backend-independent. Not critical for this
document, but it is always cool to be able to export to different
formats.

Thank you for the suggestion, anyway.

--
Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-17 21:33         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?ISO-8859-1?B?CUpvcmdlIFRpbfNu?=; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

	Jorge Timón <jtimonmv@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't care about the spaces and I would prefer not to use latex.
> The problem is that that produces:
>
> \texttt{<<<} \ldots{} \texttt{>>>}

Did you try it with the tildes instead of the equal signs?
Here, both old and new exporters produce

aaa \verb~<<<~ \ldots{} \verb~>>>~ aa a a

at least with the version I'm running (Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-214-gf025d1))

Nick

> and then latex joins the first << and the first >> together, which is
> really ugly.
>
> My document is already LaTeX specific, but if I'm able replace more
> latex with org mode, I should consider a later edition of the tex
> produced to keep it backend-independent. Not critical for this
> document, but it is always cool to be able to export to different
> formats.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, anyway.
>
> On 9/17/12, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> > 	Jorge Timón <jtimonmv@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The only way I know to do what I want is \verb=<<<=...\verb=>>>=, in
> >> case someone has a similar problem.
> >>

> > If you don't mind the extra space around the dots, you can say
> >
> >    aaa ~<<<~ ... ~>>>~ aa a a
> >
> > the advantage being that it is backend-independent, so it will export
> > correctly to HTML and presumably all the other backends --- at least
> > with the new exporter: I didn't try the old one.
> >
> > There are ways to deal with the spaces as well (the one before the dots
> > is no problem: it's the one after that causes a problem in this case),
> > but imo they are not worth the bother unless you really, really need that
> > exact behavior. I'd rather live with the spaces (or edit the resulting
> > latex
> > file, but that has disadvantages of its own).
> >
> > Nick
> >

> --
> Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-18  8:27           `  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-18  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I still get \texttt{<<<} \ldots{} \texttt{>>>}

I have Org-mode version 6.33x at work. I'll check later at home, where
I have both emacs23 and emacs24 (snapshot).

--
Jorge Timón

* Re: =<<<...>>>= invalid
@ 2012-09-18 18:12             `  Jorge Timón
From: 	Jorge Timón @ 2012-09-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode version 6.30c at home, even with the snapshot. I'll probably
update and follow your advice, thank you.

--
Jorge Timón