I have signed the copyright assignment before. The change is very small, so I think taking a look at the diff is more informative than I trying to explain it; the old code did not use `org-link-make-description-function` when some other alternatives were available, but my changes make it always use `org-link-make-description-function` if set. This change is a breaking API change, but I think the previous behavior was a bug. If you want to preserve the old behavior, perhaps we should add a new variable `org-link-postprocess-description-function`? Changelog: * lisp/org/ol.el (org-insert-link): org-link-make-description-function is always applied to the description.