From: Ruy Exel <ruyexel@gmail.com>
To: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-org list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Broken org-mode "Column width and alignment" in latest version
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 16:11:04 -0200	[thread overview]

Dear Kaushal,

The real treat is to read your nice message and to be a member of such a
fantastic group of people!

Following your advice to stick to a stable release I searched for info on
how to install it and I found instructions in
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation telling me to run "M-x
package-install RET org RET" from within emacs.  I did it and it all looked
like everything was running smoothly untill I was issued the messages:

WARNING: No org-loaddefs.el file could be found from where org.el is
loaded.  You need to run "make" or "make autoloads" from Org lisp directory

I am used to this since I first tried the cloned git version, but I noticed
that there is no Makefile in the directory containing the newly dowloaded
files (~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171113/), so I got stuck.

I noticed that in the above installation instructions it is mentioned that:

Important: you need to do this in a session where no .org file has been
visited, i.e., where no Org built-in function have been loaded. Otherwise
autoload Org functions will mess up the installation.

so I repeated the process right after starting emacs with the
--no-init-files option, then I added the line "(package-initialize)" to my
initialization file but it still does not work, namely the old org-mode is
loaded upon starting emacs.  It is curious that I now have two org-mode
entries in the top Emacs-Info node, one for the old version (7.9.3f) and
another one for the new one (9.1.2 (release_9.1.2-37-g3f8d67)).

Could I have premanently messed up my emacs installation by not following
the above Important advice?

Regards,
Ruy Exel