* How to never have the Footnote heading generated?
@ 2014-06-21 16:30 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good afternoon,

I want only to use in-line footnotes and never to have them
automatically entered into an auto created
Footnote heading. Rather I want that auto-generated, just like it is
now. My goal is to allow refactoring
literature with footnotes without having to update anything else in
that document (barring references).

Is there a setting to get that behavior. I read the docs and am not seeing it.

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: How to never have the Footnote heading generated?
@ 2014-06-22  2:20 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2014-06-22  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> I want only to use in-line footnotes and never to have them
> automatically entered into an auto created Footnote heading.

An easy way to create inline footnotes is to use the following setting:

(setq org-footnote-auto-label nil)

Then, when you call org-footnote-action, simply press return for an
"anonymous" (i.e., inline) footnote.

 - The footnote looks like this.[fn:: Like this one]

Best,
Matt

* Re: How to never have the Footnote heading generated?
@ 2014-06-22 12:56   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you Matt.

What I was aiming for was to have in-line footnotes that did have
randomly generated IDs so that I one still may reference them. I
misunderstood though, because the footnotes will still get defined in
the Footnote section, too. I will look at what it takes to have a new
footnote type with that behavior.

@ 2014-06-22 14:11     ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Here is what I had intended:

(setq org-footnote-define-inline +1)
(setq org-footnote-auto-label 'random)
(setq org-footnote-auto-adjust nil)

@ 2014-06-22 14:30       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2014-06-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

>> What I was aiming for was to have in-line footnotes that did have
>> randomly generated IDs so that I one still may reference them.

> Here is what I had intended:
>
> (setq org-footnote-define-inline +1)
> (setq org-footnote-auto-label 'random)
> (setq org-footnote-auto-adjust nil)

Nice! I misunderstood the initial question. The above works fine for me
as a way to insert inline footnotes with random labels. When I call
org-footnote-action, I get the following.

 - Here is a footnote.[fn:5952d54e: A footnote]

>> I misunderstood though, because the footnotes will still get defined
>> in the Footnote section, too.

Could you please explain what you mean here? The above settings do not
create a footnote section when I call org-footnote-action or
org-footnote-new. But you could use (setq org-footnote-section nil) to
ensure that any footnote definitions (if they exist) will be placed in
the same section as the footnote reference.

Or do you mean the label for "Footnotes" in, say, html export? If so, I
believe you can configure the variable org-html-footnotes-section.

Best,
Matt

* Re: How to never have the Footnote heading generated?
@ 2014-06-22 19:45         ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-22 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

The former, and you explained something that I didn't even know that I
should have known, too.

Thanks!