* When is the right time to modify the contents of org-structure-template-alist?
@ 2014-06-09 23:03 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-09 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

Wanting to modify the contents of org-structure-template-alist I had
this code run at startup after org was required:

(mapc (lambda (asc)
        (let ((org-sce-dc (downcase (nth 1 asc))))
          (setf (nth 1 asc) org-sce-dc)))
      org-structure-template-alist)

That didn't modify the list, though.

When I run that code after Emacs is started up, it works as expected.

I tried putting that code in the org mode hook too, with the same result.

Suspect my ignorance is catching up with me.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here?

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: When is the right time to modify the contents of org-structure-template-alist?
@ 2014-06-09 23:14 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Wanting to modify the contents of org-structure-template-alist I had
> this code run at startup after org was required:
>
> (mapc (lambda (asc)
>         (let ((org-sce-dc (downcase (nth 1 asc))))
>           (setf (nth 1 asc) org-sce-dc)))
>       org-structure-template-alist)
>
> That didn't modify the list, though.
>
> When I run that code after Emacs is started up, it works as expected.
>
> I tried putting that code in the org mode hook too, with the same result.

Hi Grant,

Since org-structure-template-alist is defined in org.el, you could
modify it after org.el loads:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (eval-after-load "org"
    '(progn
       ;; modify org-structure-template-alist here
  ))
#+END_SRC

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: When is the right time to modify the contents of org-structure-template-alist?
@ 2014-06-10  1:32   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-10  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks Jorge.

It turns out that the error occurred between my keyboard and my chair.
Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson