* Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-26 12:27 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-06-26 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
For illustration a short example:

*** Species names and iespece codes
#+NAME: SPECIES
|         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
|---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
| fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
| quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |

*** Random Number Definition
Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
#+NAME: RNGSEED
13

SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?

Thanks,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-26 17:13 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-06-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
> quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
> for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
> For illustration a short example:
>
> *** Species names and iespece codes
> #+NAME: SPECIES
> |         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
> |---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
> | fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
> | quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |
>
> *** Random Number Definition
> Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
> #+NAME: RNGSEED
> 13
>
> SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?

Perhaps you could wrap it in a source code block?

#+name: rngseed
#+begin_src R
13
#+end_src

#+results: rngseed
: 13

#+header: :var x=rngseed()
#+begin_src R
x + 1
#+end_src

#+results:
: 14

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-27  9:51   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-06-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Rainer,
>
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
>> quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
>> for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
>> For illustration a short example:
>>
>> *** Species names and iespece codes
>> #+NAME: SPECIES
>> |         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
>> |---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
>> | fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
>> | quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |
>>
>> *** Random Number Definition
>> Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
>> #+NAME: RNGSEED
>> 13
>>
>> SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?
>
> Perhaps you could wrap it in a source code block?

Thanks - yes, I could do that, but then it is not equivalent to a table,
as I have to use VARIABLEVALUE() and for a table VARIABLETABLE. I
actually wanted to get rid of this inconsistencies.

I could obviously define an R source code block to return the table
defined before in org, but this is not nice at all...

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2014-06-27 15:10     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Perhaps you could wrap it in a source code block?
>
> Thanks - yes, I could do that, but then it is not equivalent to a table,
> as I have to use VARIABLEVALUE() and for a table VARIABLETABLE. I
> actually wanted to get rid of this inconsistencies.
>
> I could obviously define an R source code block to return the table
> defined before in org, but this is not nice at all...

Does :results table help?

Nick

* Re: Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-27 17:38 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2014-06-27 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

2014ko ekainak 26an, Rainer M Krug-ek idatzi zuen:

> Hi
>
> I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
> quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
> for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
> For illustration a short example:

> *** Species names and iespece codes
> #+NAME: SPECIES
> |         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
> |---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
> | fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
> | quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |
>
> *** Random Number Definition
> Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
> #+NAME: RNGSEED
> 13
>
> SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?

You can use a verbatim block:

,----
| #+name: xyz
| : hi
|
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var abc=xyz
| (concat "*" abc "*")
| #+end_src
|
| #+RESULTS:
| : *hi*
`----

HTH,

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-27 18:35   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use a verbatim block:
>
> ,----
> | #+name: xyz
> | : hi
> |
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var abc=xyz
> | (concat "*" abc "*")
> | #+end_src
> |
> | #+RESULTS:
> | : *hi*
> `----

Is that similar to (setq xyz "hi")?

* Re: Using #+NAME for single value, not table?
@ 2014-06-30  7:03   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-06-30  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> 2014ko ekainak 26an, Rainer M Krug-ek idatzi zuen:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
>> quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
>> for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
>> For illustration a short example:

>> *** Species names and iespece codes
>> #+NAME: SPECIES
>> |         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
>> |---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
>> | fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
>> | quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |
>>
>> *** Random Number Definition
>> Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
>> #+NAME: RNGSEED
>> 13
>>
>> SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?
>
> You can use a verbatim block:
>
> ,----
> | #+name: xyz
> | : hi
> |
> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var abc=xyz
> | (concat "*" abc "*")
> | #+end_src
> |
> | #+RESULTS:
> | : *hi*
> `----

Perfect - this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Rainer

@ 2014-07-25 14:48     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-07-25 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Aaron Ecay <aaronecay-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> 2014ko ekainak 26an, Rainer M Krug-ek idatzi zuen:
>>>
>>> I use #+NAME to define some parameters for my analysis, which works
>>> quite nice for tables. but I would now like to use the same apprioach
>>> for values, e.g. a single number, but I don't manage. Is this possible?
>>> For illustration a short example:
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> *** Species names and iespece codes
>>> #+NAME: SPECIES
>>> |         | fullName        | shortName | iespece | IFNName         | color |
>>> |---------+-----------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+-------|
>>> | fagus   | Fagus sylvatica | fagus     |       4 | fagus_sylvatica | red   |
>>> | quercus | Quercus robur   | quercus   |       3 | quercus_robur   | green |
>>>
>>> *** Random Number Definition
>>> Defines random number generator kind, normal.kind and seed (see set.seed help in R for details)
>>> #+NAME: RNGSEED
>>> 13
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> SPECIES works, but how do I get RNGSEED to be 13?
>>
>> You can use a verbatim block:
>>
>> ,----
>> | #+name: xyz
>> | : hi
>> |
>> | #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var abc=xyz
>> | (concat "*" abc "*")
>> | #+end_src
>> |
>> | #+RESULTS:
>> | : *hi*
>> `----
>
> Perfect - this is exactly what I was looking for.

If I'm not mistaken, I see two solutions for you:

    #+name: RNGSEED
    : 13

or

    #+PROPERTY: var RNGSEED=13