* Emacs Lisp Depth
@ 2014-09-16 13:01 Fabrice Popineau
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-09-16 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Emacs developers

Am I the only one to have hit the bottom of the default max_specpdl_size
and max_lisp_eval_depth values ?
I had already set max_specpdl_size to 2600 and I had to raise it again.

I have an Org file of about 10000 lines, and I am exporting x100 beamer
slides and a latex document for about 200 pages .

Curious to hear about other reports.

Fabrice

* Re: Emacs Lisp Depth
@ 2014-09-16 13:37 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2014-09-16 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Emacs developers

No, you're not the only one. I've run across it several times. I'd say about half of them revealed bugs on my part, but there's no doubt that it occasionally has to be raised for legitimate reasons. I assume that the default value is somewhat arbitrary, but chosen pragmatically.

,Doug
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224 or ext 4335

"This is a slow pup," he said continuing his ascent.

@ 2014-09-16 13:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-16 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Emacs developers

Hello,

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Am I the only one to have hit the bottom of the default max_specpdl_size
> and max_lisp_eval_depth values ?
> I had already set max_specpdl_size to 2600 and I had to raise it again.
>
> I have an Org file of about 10000 lines, and I am exporting x100 beamer
> slides and a latex document for about 200 pages .
>
> Curious to hear about other reports.

This is likely due to a bug or an inefficient algorithm. Does it happen
with other back-ends as well? Does it happen when parsing (i.e., simply
calling `org-element-parse-buffer'?

Could you send the file you're exporting in private? If needed, you can
use the following function (provided you can parse the buffer) to hide
contents

  (defun ngz-scramble-contents ()
    (interactive)
    (let ((tree (org-element-parse-buffer)))
      (org-element-map tree '(code comment comment-block example-block fixed-width
                                   keyword link node-property plain-text verbatim)
        (lambda (obj)
          (case (org-element-type obj)
            ((code comment comment-block example-block fixed-width keyword
                   node-property verbatim)
             (let ((value (org-element-property :value obj)))
               (org-element-put-property
                obj :value (replace-regexp-in-string "[[:alnum:]]" "x" value))))
            (link
             (unless (string= (org-element-property :type obj) "radio")
               (org-element-put-property obj :raw-link "http://orgmode.org")))
            (plain-text
             (org-element-set-element
              obj (replace-regexp-in-string "[[:alnum:]]" "x" obj)))))
        nil nil nil t)
      (let ((buffer (get-buffer-create "*Scrambled text*")))
        (with-current-buffer buffer
          (insert (org-element-interpret-data tree))
          (goto-char (point-min)))
        (switch-to-buffer buffer))))

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Emacs Lisp Depth
@ 2014-09-21 14:04 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-09-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Emacs developers

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Fabrice Popineau
<fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Curious to hear about other reports.

My primary document has 8051 lines in it so I set max-specpdl-size to
2600 "just in case".

That was before I realized that in *my* case, all the bugs were
introduced by me into
the document itself.

It was a good opportunity to learn more about how =org= really works though.

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/