* How do you capture the intent never to tangle or weave a headline or its children?
@ 2014-06-16  0:46 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-16  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good evening,

For both performance and cognitive reasons, sometimes I specifically
never want to tangle or weave a headline or any of
its children. I still value it though, so it belongs in that document,
and it wouldn't make sense for it to be linked as an
external document. For performance reasons, I suspect that it would
speed up tangling, but I need to verify this.

Thus far I just add something like this, so at least it is obvious to
*me* what is my intent:

# INTENT: never weave or tangle this headline or its children
  :PROPERTIES:
  :exports: none
  :tangle: no
  :END:

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: How do you capture the intent never to tangle or weave a headline or its children?
@ 2014-06-16  3:29 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-06-16  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr <at> wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> Good evening,
>
> For both performance and cognitive reasons, sometimes I specifically
> never want to tangle or weave a headline or any of
> its children. I still value it though, so it belongs in that document,
> and it wouldn't make sense for it to be linked as an
> external document. For performance reasons, I suspect that it would
> speed up tangling, but I need to verify this.
>
> Thus far I just add something like this, so at least it is obvious to
> *me* what is my intent:
>
> # INTENT: never weave or tangle this headline or its children
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :exports: none
>   :tangle: no
>   :END:

You want this:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Header-arguments-in-Org-mode-properties.html#Header-arguments-in-Org-mode-properties

i.e. :header-args: :exports none :tangle no

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: How do you capture the intent never to tangle or weave a headline or its children?
@ 2014-06-19  1:14   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-19  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Understood, and thank you.
Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM