Good thing to consider. On my slow machine it takes 6 minutes to tangle my init and on my faster machine 1.5 minutes so I follow the static approach. Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, FSF, IEEE, Sigma Xi grettke@acm.org | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/ “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x))) “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” --Thompson On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Pete Ley wrote: > I've looked at the solution on worg and, though I didn't actually try to > implement, it seems like tangling your init file every time you open > Emacs is a little cumbersome. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this > assumption. I also have a sync script hooked into my tangling that has > to do with exporting some of my config sections to my gopher site so > they're always up to date, so maybe it's just that my tangling > experience is especially involved. > > Here's what I do. Since I probably only edit my config ~10% of the times > that I open Emacs, it seems easier to just have a statically-tangled > init file, so I just basically use C-c C-v C-t instead of C-x C-s to > save my init.org. I also use somewhat customized init files on a few > different hosts which share the same .emacs.d. They share come common > functionality and differ slightly, so there are a few init files tangled > into ~/.emacs.d of the form hostname.el and the init.el file is > basically a switch which chooses which one to load on startup. > > Short reference: > > http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org:70/0/users/framling/emacs/init > >