* org version check on start
@ 2014-06-09  0:38 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-09  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good afternoon,

Yesterday I was fiddling with getting tangling working in a Makefile.
My humanity caught up with me
and I wasn't super vigilant about the order of my command line
arguments to Emacs. Basically, I asked
it to do some work before the correct version of org-mode was loaded.
Now, Emacs and org wouldn't
complain, because 7.9 and 8.x are close enough, at least for my
system. Still, that was a bad idea and
not my intent.

Knowing that I am human though, I had already added this code long ago:

(when (not (string-equal (org-version) "8.2.6"))
  (display-warning
   'org-mode
   (concat
    "Insufficient requirements. Expected 8.2.6. Found " (org-version))
   :emergency))

Just wanted to share that. Everybody who wants to be using a
particular version ought to paste that
into their init somewhere... bound to prevent headaches and save some time.

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: org version check on start
@ 2014-06-09 18:19 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-06-09 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2014-06-09 02:38 Grant Rettke wrote:

[...]

> (when (not (string-equal (org-version) "8.2.6"))

  (when (not (version=     (org-version) "8.2.6"))

>   (display-warning
>    'org-mode
>    (concat
>     "Insufficient requirements. Expected 8.2.6. Found " (org-version))
>    :emergency))

Maybe using version= instead of string-equal to compare version string
might save you some additional headaches ;-).

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: org version check on start
@ 2014-06-09 22:27   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-06-09 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you.
Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson