* LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-27 19:49 Steven Arntson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-27 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
"customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
and add others?

Thank you!
Steven Arntson

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-27 21:13 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-05-27 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
> and add others?

Maybe you can configure it with
M-x customize-group org

But I think a look at the manual is pretty useful and you can configure
it in your .emacs without very much complication:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-settings.html#Export-settings
http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-27 21:31 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2014-05-27 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steven,

Steven Arntson wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
> and add others?
>
> Thank you!
> Steven Arntson

In addition to Igor's suggestion you may want to check out

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html

As mentioned in the title the following is for the earlier version of
org-export; however I used the Thomas Dye's examples and made the
appropriate changes for the new exporter in Org v8. Again, please note,
that you will have to make adjustments.

Also, search this list; for instance Dr. Dye's posts concerning this
subject.

Regards,
Charlie Millar

---

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-27 21:42   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-27 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
>> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
>> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
>> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
>> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
>> and add others?
>
> Maybe you can configure it with
> M-x customize-group org
>
> But I think a look at the manual is pretty useful and you can configure
> it in your .emacs without very much complication:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-settings.html#Export-settings
> http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but to me the problem seems to be
not so much what org does, but what latex does. If that is so, then
perhaps what is needed is a latex style file that formats prose
"correctly for the literary world". That may be a non-trivial
undertaking (but maybe not: typographical demands for a novel are
trivial compared to say mathematics). Integrating such a hypothetical
style file into org would be pretty easy.

But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for
the literary world" mean?

Nick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28  1:35     ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2014-05-28  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 28/05/14 07:42, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
>>> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
>>> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
>>> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
>>> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
>>> and add others?
>> Maybe you can configure it with
>> M-x customize-group org
>>
>> But I think a look at the manual is pretty useful and you can configure
>> it in your .emacs without very much complication:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-settings.html#Export-settings
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export
> I may be barking up the wrong tree, but to me the problem seems to be
> not so much what org does, but what latex does. If that is so, then
> perhaps what is needed is a latex style file that formats prose
> "correctly for the literary world". That may be a non-trivial
> undertaking (but maybe not: typographical demands for a novel are
> trivial compared to say mathematics). Integrating such a hypothetical
> style file into org would be pretty easy.
>
> But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for
> the literary world" mean?
>
> Nick
I think this is right. Try

#+LATEX_CLASS: book

and then modify the defaults in org-export-latex-classes by deleting the
\part as the first item in the Levels of the 'book' entry. This will
make all your top level headings 'Chapters' which is probably what you
want for a novel.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28  3:25     ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-28  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
>>> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
>>> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
>>> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
>>> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
>>> and add others?
>>
>> Maybe you can configure it with
>> M-x customize-group org
>>
>> But I think a look at the manual is pretty useful and you can configure
>> it in your .emacs without very much complication:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-settings.html#Export-settings
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export
>
> I may be barking up the wrong tree, but to me the problem seems to be
> not so much what org does, but what latex does. If that is so, then
> perhaps what is needed is a latex style file that formats prose
> "correctly for the literary world". That may be a non-trivial
> undertaking (but maybe not: typographical demands for a novel are
> trivial compared to say mathematics). Integrating such a hypothetical
> style file into org would be pretty easy.
>
> But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for
> the literary world" mean?
>
> Nick

Full disclosure: I'm a beginning emacs user, and I know nothing about
LaTex at all!

I'm not producing a "book" per se, but a manuscript that will be
printed on 8.5 x 11 pages and read by my agent or a publisher. The
conventions are simple, but thus far I haven't been able to understand
much of what I'm reading in the customize menu for org-mode.

Until now I've done this formatting with MS Word or Libre Office. I
dislike those programs, but I know how to use them. Simplest has been to
take my raw org-mode txt files and convert them manually. It's a tedious
last step before sending downstream, which I'd love to replace, and I've
seen some beautiful LaTex examples online, so I know it's possible ...

Literary format redux:
+ 12 point text
+ Title page has title and author name, centered both horizontally and
vertically. Contact info for agent is in the bottom left, single spaced.
+ Remaining pages are double-spaced
+ Page numbers are centered at the bottom of the page (but no page number
on title page)
+ Each page has a right-justified header in the format LASTNAME/TITLE

That's it. I guess I'm wondering now--should I be learning more about
org-mode, or more about LaTex?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this.

-Steven

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28  4:31       ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2014-05-28  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steven,
You want to learn more about LaTeX, but it's not too much.

I wrote a little book called Self-publishing with LyX that will help you
set up the title page as well as some of your other problems. This is not a
sales pitch -- it's free :-).

 Self-publishing with LyX
ISBN: 978-0-9803-3242-1
http://www.lulu.com/content/1085870

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28  6:07         ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-28  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

I downloaded the book and went through it--thank you for putting that
together! It was a valuable overview. Nonetheless, some confusions
persist for me since I'm using emacs org-mode and not LyX. Should I be
putting LaTeX markup into my org-mode doc, for instance, for formatting
the title page, &c?

Also, right now when I do the "org to latex to pdf" export, I'm given a
table of contents, and I don't want one. I'm still perplexed about where
defaults like that are kept.

Sometimes I worry that my ignorance is invulnerable.

Thanks again!

-Steven

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28  6:30           ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2014-05-28  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.05.2014 um 08:07 schrieb Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com>:

> Hi Alan,
>
> I downloaded the book and went through it--thank you for putting that
> together! It was a valuable overview. Nonetheless, some confusions
> persist for me since I'm using emacs org-mode and not LyX. Should I be
> putting LaTeX markup into my org-mode doc, for instance, for formatting
> the title page, &c?
>
> Also, right now when I do the "org to latex to pdf" export, I'm given a
> table of contents, and I don't want one. I'm still perplexed about where
> defaults like that are kept.

I had exactly the same question yesterday.
Putting

into the org file will suppress the toc.

You should read the chapter "Markup for rich export" in the Org Manual.
This may answer some of you questions about markup.

Axel

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 12:39       ` Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2014-05-28 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-27 23:25, Steven Arntson wrote:
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
> and add others?
> But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for
> the literary world" mean?
>
> Literary format redux:
> + 12 point text
> + Title page has title and author name, centered both horizontally and
> vertically. Contact info for agent is in the bottom left, single
> spaced.
> + Remaining pages are double-spaced
> + Page numbers are centered at the bottom of the page (but no page
> number
> on title page)
> + Each page has a right-justified header in the format LASTNAME/TITLE

A quick google for "latex novel manuscript template" leads to
http://goer.org/Journal/2011/01/publishing_with_sphinx_rest_and_sffms_latex.html,
which leads to: http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/, which looks like what
you want...

rick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 19:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-28 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steven,

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
> and add others?

If you are not familiar with LaTeX, maybe it's worth exporting to ODT
instead.  Otherwise, do get some knowledge of LaTeX (perhaps by reading
the .tex output) and Org's documentation on how to customize the LaTeX
export.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: LaTex export questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-05-28 19:51 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-05-28 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

What kind of deadlines are you facing to accomplish this?
Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Steven Arntson
<steven@stevenarntson.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
> and add others?
>
> Thank you!
> Steven Arntson

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 20:48         ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-28 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rick,

Your google search to find the "sffms" style package seems like it could
be the perfect answer to my quandary. I'm trying now to get my head
around acquiring it. I don't have a great track record with installing
things, and try to use package management systems when I can.

Sffms is located on CTAN (which I'm learning about as I write
this!). I'm running Ubuntu, and believe I have TexLive installed, but
have never tried its package management system.

What's a good way to proceed here?

Thank you!
Steven

Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com> writes:

> On 2014-05-27 23:25, Steven Arntson wrote:
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to
>> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run
>> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the
>> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or
>> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings,
>> and add others?
>> But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for
>> the literary world" mean?
>>
>> Literary format redux:
>> + 12 point text
>> + Title page has title and author name, centered both horizontally and
>> vertically. Contact info for agent is in the bottom left, single
>> spaced.
>> + Remaining pages are double-spaced
>> + Page numbers are centered at the bottom of the page (but no page
>> number
>> on title page)
>> + Each page has a right-justified header in the format LASTNAME/TITLE
>>

> A quick google for "latex novel manuscript template" leads to
> http://goer.org/Journal/2011/01/publishing_with_sphinx_rest_and_sffms_latex.html,
> which leads to: http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/, which looks like what
> you want...
>
> rick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 21:51           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-28 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Rick,
>
> Your google search to find the "sffms" style package seems like it could
> be the perfect answer to my quandary. I'm trying now to get my head
> around acquiring it. I don't have a great track record with installing
> things, and try to use package management systems when I can.
>
> Sffms is located on CTAN (which I'm learning about as I write
> this!). I'm running Ubuntu, and believe I have TexLive installed, but
> have never tried its package management system.
>
> What's a good way to proceed here?

You can search for packages containing a file:

$ dpkg -S sffms.cls
texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/sffms/sffms.cls

So you need to install texlive-latex-extra:

# apt-get install texlive-latex-extra

You'll probably need to be root for that (or use the graphical thingie
that will ask for your password).

Nick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 22:46             ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-28 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Rick,
>>
>> Your google search to find the "sffms" style package seems like it could
>> be the perfect answer to my quandary. I'm trying now to get my head
>> around acquiring it. I don't have a great track record with installing
>> things, and try to use package management systems when I can.
>>
>> Sffms is located on CTAN (which I'm learning about as I write
>> this!). I'm running Ubuntu, and believe I have TexLive installed, but
>> have never tried its package management system.
>>
>> What's a good way to proceed here?
>>

> You can search for packages containing a file:
>
> $ dpkg -S sffms.cls
> texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/sffms/sffms.cls
>
> So you need to install texlive-latex-extra:
>
> # apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
>
> You'll probably need to be root for that (or use the graphical thingie
> that will ask for your password).
>
> Nick

That dpkg search is a great thing to know about! So I just went through
the install process, and it turns out I already have the files in
question. I just haven't gotten them working yet. The website for sffms
says I need to put the following into my doc:

\documentclass{sffms}
\author{Lois McMaster Bujold}
\title{Komarr}
\begin{document}
Your story goes here.
\end{document}

Which seems encouragingly simple, but I'm a little confused about using
this LaTex markup in the context of an org document. Org has its own
markup to pass to latex for these I think, like #+AUTHOR. Is there
a similar one for \documentclass ?

Thanks again!
Steven

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-28 23:27               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-28 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>>
>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> Your google search to find the "sffms" style package seems like it could
>>> be the perfect answer to my quandary. I'm trying now to get my head
>>> around acquiring it. I don't have a great track record with installing
>>> things, and try to use package management systems when I can.
>>>
>>> Sffms is located on CTAN (which I'm learning about as I write
>>> this!). I'm running Ubuntu, and believe I have TexLive installed, but
>>> have never tried its package management system.
>>>
>>> What's a good way to proceed here?
>>>

>> You can search for packages containing a file:
>>
>> $ dpkg -S sffms.cls
>> texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/sffms/sffms.cls
>>
>> So you need to install texlive-latex-extra:
>>
>> # apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
>>
>> You'll probably need to be root for that (or use the graphical thingie
>> that will ask for your password).
>>
>> Nick
>
> That dpkg search is a great thing to know about! So I just went through
> the install process, and it turns out I already have the files in
> question. I just haven't gotten them working yet. The website for sffms
> says I need to put the following into my doc:
>
> \documentclass{sffms}
> \author{Lois McMaster Bujold}
> \title{Komarr}
> \begin{document}
> Your story goes here.
> \end{document}
>
> Which seems encouragingly simple, but I'm a little confused about using
> this LaTex markup in the context of an org document. Org has its own
> markup to pass to latex for these I think, like #+AUTHOR. Is there
> a similar one for \documentclass ?

You will need to add a class to org-latex-classes. You should read the
documentation for the variable with C-h v org-latex-classes RET.

You can try customizing this variable but I find the customize interface
to it somewhat confusing, so I prefer to do it by hand - you need to add
something like this to the end of your initialization file (you probably
just need chapters):

(setq sa/sffms-latex-class '("novel" "\\documentclass{sffms}"
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")))

(eval-after-load "ox-latex"
                 '(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes sa/sffms-latex-class))

Then your org file should look like this:

#+LATEX_CLASS: novel
#+TITLE: Fahrenheit 451
#+AUTHOR: Ray Bradbury

* The Hearth and the Salamander

It was a pleasure to burn.

It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, blackened
and /changed/.

Note  that the latex class is known as "novel" to org because of
the way I defined sa/sffms-latex-class. You could call it whatever
you want, by changing the two instances of "novel".

That's a beginning but you will probably have to modify some other
things.  Just put them in a style file, say misc.sty:

\runningtitle{Fahrenheit 451}
\authorname{Ray Bradbury}

plus any other settings from the sfmms documentation you think are
necessary, and add a line to your .org file:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{misc}

to pick them up. That should get you some way towards your goal.

Nick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-29  0:22                 ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-05-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You can search for packages containing a file:
>>>
>>> $ dpkg -S sffms.cls
>>> texlive-latex-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/sffms/sffms.cls
>>>
>>> So you need to install texlive-latex-extra:
>>>
>>> # apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
>>>
>>> You'll probably need to be root for that (or use the graphical thingie
>>> that will ask for your password).
>>>
>>> Nick
>>
>> That dpkg search is a great thing to know about! So I just went through
>> the install process, and it turns out I already have the files in
>> question. I just haven't gotten them working yet. The website for sffms
>> says I need to put the following into my doc:
>>
>> \documentclass{sffms}
>> \author{Lois McMaster Bujold}
>> \title{Komarr}
>> \begin{document}
>> Your story goes here.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> Which seems encouragingly simple, but I'm a little confused about using
>> this LaTex markup in the context of an org document. Org has its own
>> markup to pass to latex for these I think, like #+AUTHOR. Is there
>> a similar one for \documentclass ?
>>

> You will need to add a class to org-latex-classes. You should read the
> documentation for the variable with C-h v org-latex-classes RET.
>
> You can try customizing this variable but I find the customize interface
> to it somewhat confusing, so I prefer to do it by hand - you need to add
> something like this to the end of your initialization file (you probably
> just need chapters):
>
> (setq sa/sffms-latex-class '("novel" "\\documentclass{sffms}"
>   ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
>   ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
>   ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
>   ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")))
>
> (eval-after-load "ox-latex"
>                  '(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes sa/sffms-latex-class))
>
> Then your org file should look like this:
>
> #+LATEX_CLASS: novel
> #+TITLE: Fahrenheit 451
> #+AUTHOR: Ray Bradbury
>
> * The Hearth and the Salamander
>
> It was a pleasure to burn.
>
> It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, blackened
> and /changed/.
>
> Note  that the latex class is known as "novel" to org because of
> the way I defined sa/sffms-latex-class. You could call it whatever
> you want, by changing the two instances of "novel".
>
> That's a beginning but you will probably have to modify some other
> things.  Just put them in a style file, say misc.sty:
>
> \runningtitle{Fahrenheit 451}
> \authorname{Ray Bradbury}
>
> plus any other settings from the sfmms documentation you think are
> necessary, and add a line to your .org file:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{misc}
>
> to pick them up. That should get you some way towards your goal.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Sorry to call you Rick earlier; I just noticed I did that.

So, this has been incredibly helpful. I've just processed an org file
into a pdf that's about 93% totally correct for formatting. Furthermore,
it looks great; way better than the output I typically get from Word or
LibreOffice. And way, /way/ easier to achieve.

Thanks so much for your help here, and everyone else on this thread,
too! I'm sure I'll have questions further on but I'm going to call this
a success for today and go mix a martini.

Best!
Steven

PS Strangely, I just read Fahrenheit 451 last week. Odd coincidence....

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-29  1:52                   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-29  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Sorry to call you Rick earlier; I just noticed I did that.

No, you were right: Rick Frankel provided the googling and the reference
to sffms. I didn't know anything about it before he mentioned it.

> So, this has been incredibly helpful. I've just processed an org file
> into a pdf that's about 93% totally correct for formatting. Furthermore,
> it looks great; way better than the output I typically get from Word or
> LibreOffice. And way, /way/ easier to achieve.
>
> Thanks so much for your help here, and everyone else on this thread,
> too! I'm sure I'll have questions further on but I'm going to call this
> a success for today and go mix a martini.
>
> Best!
> Steven
>
> PS Strangely, I just read Fahrenheit 451 last week. Odd coincidence....

:-)

Nick

* Re: LaTex export questions
@ 2014-05-31  7:25         ` Martin Schöön
From: Martin Schöön @ 2014-05-31  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 28 May 2014 06:31, Alan Tyree <typhoon@aanet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
> You want to learn more about LaTeX, but it's not too much.
>
> I wrote a little book called Self-publishing with LyX that will help you
> set up the title page as well as some of your other problems. This is not a
> sales pitch -- it's free :-).
>
>  Self-publishing with LyX
> ISBN: 978-0-9803-3242-1
> http://www.lulu.com/content/1085870
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

I half-way through your book and it is a good read! I am a long-time LyX
fan so you are preaching for the choir ad far as I am concerned :-)

Now I feel tempted (inspired) to  create a small DIY book binding
introduction. I have experimented with this a bit and find you can do
decent paperbacks with very limited resources.

--
Martin Schöön

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/index.html

* Re: LaTex export questions