I've had a small problem with orgmode and auctex. Follwing the auctex quickstart I added the following to my .emacs (setq-default TeX-master nil) and then from the orgmode FAQ to setup reftex in orgmode I added the following (defun org-mode-reftex-setup () (load-library "reftex") (and (buffer-file-name) (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name)) (reftex-parse-all)) (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation)) (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup) With both of these, whenever I opened an org file I was asked to name the master file. If I comment out the setq-default I don't get the behaviour I would like with mulitfile tex files. My solution was to change (setq-default TeX-master nil) to (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook (lambda () (setq-default TeX-master nil))) I then appear to get the behaviour I desire. Is this a good way to do this? If so I might add it to the FAQ. Cheers Chris.