* Compiling Org Mode on Windows - "date" Bug?
@ 2014-04-05 21:43 William Kunkel
From: William Kunkel @ 2014-04-05 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I, for reasons I cannot control, have to use Windows. I've been using emacs
and the version of org mode packaged with emacs. However, I've wanted to
use org-drill, which as far as I understand requires compiling org-mode
from source. I copied local.mk from the "Emacs on Windows" section here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html. However, when I then run
make, it hangs.

I've traced the problem to the fact that make is trying to run a temporary
batch script with cmd, with the contents:

@echo off
date +%Y-%m-%d

As "+%Y-%m-%d" is not valid input to the DOS "date" command, (which, unlike
the Linux version, only sets the date), it prompts for acceptable input and
the program hangs.

Why is this happening, and how can I make it not happen?

Thanks,
Will Kunkel

* Re: Compiling Org Mode on Windows - "date" Bug?
@ 2014-04-06  7:02 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-06  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

William Kunkel writes:
> I've traced the problem to the fact that make is trying to run a
> temporary batch script with cmd, with the contents:
>
> @echo off
> date +%Y-%m-%d

There is no such batch script in the entire Org distribution, nor should
the build system ever try to run cmd for anything (you really need a
POSIX shell for anything make doesn't use built-ins for), so it seems
you're using some strange make and/or have the PATH set incorrectly.  If
you're not using a recent GNU Make, you can try to compile Org without
one (as described in the FAQ on Worg), however I'd suggest you use the
ELPA package instead.

That said, the result of the particular invocation that requires date is
only used in the documentation, so if you really want to see how far you
can progress beyond that, simply remove the "$(shell date +%Y-%m-%d)" in
mk/targets.mk and replace it with the current date like "2014-04-06".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Compiling Org Mode on Windows - "date" Bug?
@ 2014-04-06 18:09   ` William Kunkel
From: William Kunkel @ 2014-04-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Does the ELPA package include packages not bundled with Emacs (Those marked
"C" in customize-variable org-modules)? Installing it didn't seem to make
the org-drill module available. As for the date problem, I guess it's
trying to use cmd as my default shell and generating the temporary batch
script automatically; I'll try to get that sorted out somehow.

Thanks,
Will

@ 2014-04-06 18:23     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-06 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

William Kunkel writes:
> Does the ELPA package include packages not bundled with Emacs (Those
> marked "C" in customize-variable org-modules)?

The org-plus-contrib package does.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Compiling Org Mode on Windows - "date" Bug?
@ 2014-04-06 18:34       ` William Kunkel
From: William Kunkel @ 2014-04-06 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode