I am confused why no matter how I try to run shell commands they seem to be missing variables exported in profiles. I have added 3 variables to various startup scripts - ~./bash-profile~ :: ~export GIM_BASH_PROFILE="yes"~ - ~./bashrc~ :: ~export GIM_BASHRC="yes"~ - ~./zshrc~ :: ~export GIM_ZSHRC="yes"~ I am running emacs in GUI mode so I get why none of these are available *directly* in emacs, so then I try #+begin_src shell :results list env | grep GIM #+end_src #+RESULTS: Ok that's kinda surprising, but I suppose it could be running ~/bin/zsh~ (that's my ~shell-file-name~) directly what about #+begin_src shell :results list bash -c env | grep GIM #+end_src #+RESULTS: That's pretty surprising. I would have expected running it directly to actually run my profile. Shockingly #+begin_src shell :results list bash --rcfile ~/.bashrc -c env | grep GIM #+end_src #+RESULTS: That is *still* nothing! Sanity is restored slightly when I run #+begin_src shell :results list bash --login -c env | grep GIM #+end_src which *does* indeed visit ~.bash_profile~ but only slightly. What is going on, and is there a straightforward way in which I can get shell block to read from a profile?