It is not quite true that it's just a way of formatting, there is a semantic element to it as well where someone parsing your document programmatically can now know that what you have is a list of terms paired with their descriptions. In fact, when exporting to html you get a description list which is one of the most underused-yet-everyone-should-use-it-more html elements. On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 8:37 AM William Denton wrote: > On 17 June 2022, Cletip Cletip wrote: > > > Final question : why do you use description lists and not another ? > > When I have a list of things I want to briefly descibe! That's all. It's > just > a way of formatting a list of things where there's a term (a word, a name, > a > title) that has some descriptive text. Sometimes I use them when there's > an > obvious term/description pairing, and sometimes when I have a text-heavy > list of > things and I want to have a brief summary of each to make it easier to > read. > > > Bill > > -- > William Denton > https://www.miskatonic.org/ > Librarian, artist and licensed private investigator. > Toronto, Canada > >