* Babel: Store script in external file
@ 2019-12-16  1:21 Nathan Neff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathan Neff @ 2019-12-16  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I think I'm missing something basic:  I'd like to have something like this:

#+begin_src python
#+filename: foo.py

Instead of storing my Python code in the current org file, I would like
Babel to read foo.py and execute it, as if it was inside the .org file.

The foo.py mentioned above is fairly large, and I would like the code
to be stored in a different file than my .org file, for brevity.

Any ideas?  I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Babel: Store script in external file
@ 2019-12-16 10:09 ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2019-12-16 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I think I'm missing something basic:  I'd like to have something like this:
>
> #+begin_src python
> #+filename: foo.py
>
> Instead of storing my Python code in the current org file, I would like
> Babel to read foo.py and execute it, as if it was inside the .org file.
>
> The foo.py mentioned above is fairly large, and I would like the code
> to be stored in a different file than my .org file, for brevity.
>
> Any ideas?  I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
either put some Python code into your Python src block that executes
your external script. Or use a shell|elisp|whatever src block that
executes your script.

Regards
hmw

* Re: Babel: Store script in external file
@ 2019-12-16 18:35 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-12-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Dec 15, 2019, at 5:21 PM, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I think I'm missing something basic:  I'd like to have something like this:
>
> #+begin_src python
> #+filename: foo.py
>
> Instead of storing my Python code in the current org file, I would like
> Babel to read foo.py and execute it, as if it was inside the .org file.
>
> The foo.py mentioned above is fairly large, and I would like the code
> to be stored in a different file than my .org file, for brevity.
>
> Any ideas?  I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Two things:

1. Library-of-Babel :: lets you store src blocks of code in an external file

2. noweb chunks :: let you insert code into src blocks

See https://orgmode.org/worg/library-of-babel.html and (info "(org) Noweb Reference Syntax")

For your example, a file `my-lob.org' with a src-block named foo-py that contains what foo.py contains will do it.

Then you eval `(org-babel-lob-ingest "my-lob.org")' any time before executing the file that contains this:

#+begin_src python :noweb yes
<<foo-py>>

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Babel: Store script in external file
@ 2019-12-16 21:53 ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2019-12-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've just started playing with #+INCLUDE, so I may not be using it
correctly, but this works for me.

I have a file 'sh_test', which looks like:
for i in $(seq 10); do
    echo $i
done

My org file:
#+HEADER: :exports both
#+INCLUDE: "sh_test" src sh

And the results:

,----
| for i in $(seq 10); do
|     echo $i
| done
`----

  1
  2
  3
  4
  5
  6
  7
  8
  9
 10

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Mike

@ 2019-12-17 18:08   ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-12-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On Dec 16, 2019, at 1:53 PM, Michael Gauland <mikelygee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've just started playing with #+INCLUDE, so I may not be using it correctly, but this works for me.

Indeed, if what the OP wants is to wrap just that code as a src block and export it and any results it produces during export then that is the way to go.

However, `org-babel-execute-buffer' , `org-babel-tangle' and so on will not honor the #+INCLUDE directive unless an export is in progress.

HTH,

Chuck