* Good way to pre/view LaTeX-lines?
@ 2019-10-27 15:01 Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2019-10-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am looking for a comfortable way to view LaTeX (for math formulas) in
org-mode.
I am not working with whole LaTeX files however, but rather with occasional
lines of LaTeX inside an org-mode file.

Good possibilities could be:
1. rendering a LaTeX-line *in the minibuffer* (when a cursor is placed on
that line), or
2. rendering right there in the buffer.

Emacs can show images, so these can't be too hard, right?

Anyone know how to make this work?

Best,
Dmitrii

* Re: Good way to pre/view LaTeX-lines?
@ 2019-10-27 15:07 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2019-10-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrii Korobeinikov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 27 October 2019, Dmitrii Korobeinikov wrote:

> I am looking for a comfortable way to view LaTeX (for math formulas) in
> org-mode.

This shows how:

https://orgmode.org/org.html#Previewing-LaTeX-fragments

I don't use it often, but it works very nicely.

Bill
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art: https://listeningtoart.org/
https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: https://ghg.earth/

* Re: Good way to pre/view LaTeX-lines?
@ 2019-10-27 19:27   ` Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2019-10-27 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> https://orgmode.org/org.html#Previewing-LaTeX-fragments

Thank you, William! This is great.

After some digging, I still gotta wonder about a few things though.
1. Is there some sort of live-editing feature? By that I mean, being able
to view the result (in a seperate buffer or minibuffer or even on the next
line) as you type out the expression. In particular, it would be nice to
know how to show an image in the minibuffer (and if possible at all) and
how to effectively feed what's under cursor to the latex backend and get
the image.
2. It would be handy to autoremove the image overlay when the cursor is on
the fragment (and restore it when goes outside). I think no redraw should
be necessary unless the the formula is edited.

I guess I would have to dig into org-toggle-latex-fragment to know how to
do these, but any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dmitrii

@ 2019-10-28  1:07     ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2019-10-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrii Korobeinikov; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

* Suggest reviewing these free software packages:
https://itsfoss.com/latex-editors-linux/

** LyX and/or Kile are my faves

** Suggest trying these free software packages too

apt-get install imaxima
apt-get install maxima
apt-get install maxima-emacs
apt-get install texlive
apt-get install texlive-math-extra

@ 2019-10-28  1:22     ` Ivan Tadeu Ferreira Antunes Filho
From: Ivan Tadeu Ferreira Antunes Filho @ 2019-10-28  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrii Korobeinikov; +Cc: William Denton, emacs-orgmode

for 2 I have adapted a solution from jkitchin:

https://ivanaf.com/Automatic_Latex_Fragment_Toggling_in_org-mode.html

----

@ 2019-10-29 21:52       ` Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2019-10-29 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cool, I didn't know about maxima. I will look into trying it out. Thanks!

Regards,
Dmitrii

@ 2019-10-29 21:54       ` Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2019-10-29 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)