From: Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Filtering org-clock-display
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:52:21 +0200	[thread overview]

I suppose, in a way, blurring the line between org-clock-display and
clocktables is what I am trying to do. I think org-clock-display is much
more useful and easier to use. (Though I don't doubt that clocktables work
better for some folks.)

I started out with clocktables, but I found it clumsy to be checking my
clock times in one location, and then clocking times in another location.
This is true even when the clocktable is in the same file as the nodes.

Bit of context: I'm clock times for my own benefit, not for a client. My
primary concern is time allocation. i.e. Making sure that each of the areas
I clock under receives an appropriate amount of attention.

Old workflow:

- Jump to the top of the file or to the index file with my clocktable
- Refresh the clocktable
- Sort the clocktable by time
- Scan the table for the next area that needs my attention
- Either activate the link or manually find the corresponding node
- Clock on to that node

Note: sorting the clock table doesn't work very well. I want each level to
be sorted recursively.

New (and preferred) workflow:

- Sort nodes recursively (thanks Sacha!)
- org-overview
- org-clock-display
- Drill down into the area I that needs the most attention
- Clock on to that node

In this second workflow, notice that:

- Sorting works (because it can be done recursively, either manually as you
expand each node, or with a recursive function)
- The data (i.e. clocked time) is available *in situ* as I navigate around
the file

Wrt the laziness remark :) I am happy to write patches.