* Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
       [not found] <a0847ce6-74f2-9a79-0de6-a9369f490a83.ref@verizon.net>
@ 2020-05-13 17:17 ` Charles Millar
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Millar @ 2020-05-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

In the last two or three days, all my org files open as if I have set
the visibility in every file to

#+STARTUP: showeverything

Org mode version 9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-619-g434940 @
/usr/local/share/org-mode/lisp/)
GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 123, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-05-13

As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or elsewhere.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-13 17:58   ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2020-05-13 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or elsewhere.

The default was changed.  See

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-04/msg00452.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-05/msg00201.html

Josiah

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-13 18:13   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> In the last two or three days, all my org files open as if I have set
> the visibility in every file to
>
> #+STARTUP: showeverything

[...]

> As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or
> elsewhere.

I changed `org-startup-folded' default value to `showeverything'
yesterday.

You may want to use:

  (setq org-startup-folded t)

to get the old behaviour back.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-13 18:19     ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2020-05-13 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/13/20 1:58 PM, Josiah Schwab wrote:
>> As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or elsewhere.
>
> The default was changed.  See
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-04/msg00452.html
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-05/msg00201.html
>
> Josiah

Thank you.

I recall seeing these messages, but did not realize that this change was
going to effect all org files and by default, use lots and lots of space
when an org file is opened.

As dar as I am concerned,the past default was OK and it took only a
brief time to learn the past behavior and the visibility settings on a
per file basis.

I may be only a user but if I had I would have voted no.

@ 2020-05-13 18:28     ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2020-05-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hoi Nicholas,

On 5/13/20 2:13 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> In the last two or three days, all my org files open as if I have set
>> the visibility in every file to
>>
>> #+STARTUP: showeverything
>>

> [...]
>
>> As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or
>> elsewhere.
>
> I changed `org-startup-folded' default value to `showeverything'
> yesterday.
>
> You may want to use:
>
>    (setq org-startup-folded t)
>
> to get the old behaviour back.

Thanks.

I did that already.

However, I still stand by comments that I forwarded in reply to Josiah's
response. I do not believe that the original message was clear.

Charlie

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-14  0:29   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-05-14  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In the last two or three days, all my org files open as if I have set
> the visibility in every file to
>
> #+STARTUP: showeverything
>
> Org mode version 9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-619-g434940 @
> /usr/local/share/org-mode/lisp/)
> GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 123, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
> cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-05-13
>
> As far as I recall, I have not changed any settings in my init or elsewhere.
>
> Charlie Millar

That is correct. It's been discussed in the list and Nicolas announced that it's
been merged into master on Tuesday. Look for the thread entitled

   [RFC] Change default value for `org-startup-folded'?

It can also be found at <http://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2020-04/msg00452.html>

C-h v org-startup-folded RET

You can get the previous default by setting it to t in your init file.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-14 12:20     ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2020-05-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicholas,
-- cut --

> That is correct. It's been discussed in the list and Nicolas announced that it's
> been merged into master on Tuesday. Look for the thread entitled
>
>     [RFC] Change default value for `org-startup-folded'?
>
> It can also be found at <http://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2020-04/msg00452.html>
>
> C-h v org-startup-folded RET
>
> You can get the previous default by setting it to t in your init file.

Thanks.

Before posting I searched the list and did not find the thread or, more
likely, it was included in the search results and did not realize it.

Charlie

* Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
@ 2020-05-15 20:21       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-05-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> I recall seeing these messages, but did not realize that this change
> was going to effect all org files and by default, use lots and lots of
> space when an org file is opened.

That's true. On large files, this is not the best set-up. But I assume
anyone opening very large Org files is able to configure Org to their
liking.

On small files, e.g., a couple of screens high, this is a decent value,
however. But, more importantly, this is the least surprising value.

I think it is not uncommon for an Emacs user to open an Org file without
knowing about this major mode, e.g., if a project provides a README.org
file. This change is (mostly) for them, not for you, or me.

> As dar as I am concerned,the past default was OK and it took only
> a brief time to learn the past behavior and the visibility settings on
> a per file basis.
>
> I may be only a user but if I had I would have voted no.

You can voice your opinion in the thread, which is not closed. I hope
the Org community can find a consensus about this change.

Nicolas Goaziou