* Too clumsy to promote/demote a region by multiple levels
@ 2012-03-18  3:40 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2012-03-18  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a reason why M-left and M-right (promote/demote tree headings) deactivate the selected region?

That is, if I use C-space and move the point to select a number of headings, and I want to demote them by three levels, currently after hitting M-right, the region goes away -- so I actually have to do

C-space (move the point) M-right
C-space (move the point) M-right
C-space (move the point) M-right

But I would like to be able to do

C-space (move the point) M-right M-right M-right

Is this possible?

I know that if there is no freestanding text underneath the headings, I could use C-x r t to add more *'s, but that breaks in a region where one or more lines are not headings.

I tried (on a whim) C-u 3 M-right, but the universal argument is ignored here.

Thanks,
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

* Re: Too clumsy to promote/demote a region by multiple levels
@ 2012-03-18  7:52 ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2012-03-18  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Have you tried to use S-M-left and S-M-right? I't doesn't work with regions
but it works for a heading and all its subheadings at the same time.

/Gustav

@ 2012-03-18 10:43 ` Jonas Hörsch
From: Jonas Hörsch @ 2012-03-18 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Mar 18 2012, James Harkins wrote:

> That is, if I use C-space and move the point to select a number of
> headings, and I want to demote them by three levels, currently after
> hitting M-right, the region goes away -- so I actually have to do
>
> C-space (move the point) M-right
> C-space (move the point) M-right
> C-space (move the point) M-right

as a workaround, you can shorten the procedure a bit by typing

C-space (move the point) M-right C-x C-x M-right C-x C-x M-right

still a bit suboptimal i agree.

cheers,
 jonas